Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Millionaire's Shortbread



This week's Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge chef is Claire Robinson. Since I'm finally over H1N1 and feeling better, I wanted a little sweet treat ... and a little time in my kitchen :)



I chose Claire's Millionaire's Shortbread mainly because I saw Lucy's great-looking shortbread recipe a couple months ago and it's been on my list of recipes to try ever since :)



Millionaire's Shortbread - Adapted from Claire Robinson

Shortbread
1 stick of butter
1 1/4 C flour (I used some whole wheat)
1/3 C sugar
pinch of salt

Filling
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 T butter

Topping
1 1/2 C dark chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 350.

Place dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in slightly melted butter and stir until lumpy.



Place buttered flour mix into an 8x8 pan (or 7x11) and press to form a crust.



Bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely.



While the crust cools, you can begin the filling.

In a saucepan, melt butter and add condensed milk. Stir constantly until the mixture boils.



Then, continue stirring for about 15 minutes, until the mixture becomes a caramely color.

Pour over the shortbread crust, and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.





Next, melt the chocolate chips (SLOWLY) in a double boiler, or the microwave.





Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer. Allow the dessert to cool about 15 minutes at room temperature, and then place the shortbread in the fridge to cool completely.



Cut into 2-inch squares. Then, store in an airtight container, and store either at room temp or in the fridge.



And, if you have any extra chocolate... or just need to clean out the bowl --



:)

This post is also linked to:

15 comments:

  1. I guess her desserts are ok but her meals are over seasoned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! sounds like a rich recipe, but wonderful.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you enjoy the cookies? I saw the recipe where she made this and it looks very delicious (I love shortbread!) but it also looks SOOOooOO rich. I was afraid it would be cloyingly sweet. Was the shortbread layer enough to cut the richness of the two tpopings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better! This looks delicious =D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, nice photo recipie here. I have to make this. MMmmm! I haven't been here before. I think I'll follow so I can find you again. I see you have another blog. I'll have to check that one too.

    Thanks for stopping by my place- about Old Yeller- yeh, I know, I cried too and hated how sad it was. I just couldn't think of anything. I change my answer to 101 Dalmations, because of Glenn Close, I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. I want to eat that right now. But chocolate on a cheesey cracker? Are you sure about that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. I have to come back for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yummy. That made my short list, but didn't quite make the list because it was more steps, and I was feeling lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

    A friend of mine makes a very similar recipe and they are delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummmy! I've still got a cough, but the second I was feeling halfway normal I made it out to the kitchen to bake. I ended up making hamburger buns and chocolate cake. This looks wonderful, can't wait to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. These might have been my choice this week if not for the abundance of fall treats I have been wanting to make....pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin :) These look fantastic so I'll have to keep them in mind. Whenever I have leftover melted chocolate I search the pantry fro ANYTHING to dip in them. I have not tried cheeze its. So glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look rich and delicious. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you're feeling better!

    I looked at this recipe but by the time I decided I wanted to make it I realized I wouldn't have had enough time to let things cool before adding the next layers and still make it to my meeting on time *L* I'm glad to know they're yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM!! That sounds like my perfect dessert - love all the layers! So glad you linked it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...