Friday, November 20, 2009

Nut-Free Chex Mix


Chex Mix is one of those snacks that I grew up eating, especially around the holidays.  My mom always made it from scratch and I love her recipe.  Snack mixes like these are really challenging to find nut-free... either they contain nuts, or are processed with nuts so they are not foods I can eat.  Seeing as there are lots of folks with nut allergies out there, I wanted to share this easy and yummy recipe for others to enjoy too.


Mom's Chex Mix - Mom's Kitchen

3 T butter
1 tsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. lemon juice
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
7 C "Chex"-like cereal
1 C pretzels

First, melt the butter in a 9x13 pan that is pre-heating to 250.

Next, stir in seasoned salt, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. 

Mix together the cereal and pretzels, and then add this mix to the 9x13 pan.  Stir to coat.

Bake at 250 for a total of 45 minutes, stirring the mix every 15 minutes.  Cool and then store in an airtight container for a few weeks.

This post is linked to:

8 comments:

  1. How good does this look? Pretty darned, I'd say. I love this type of snack to have on hand for holiday drop-ins. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chex mix and just got the cereal really cheap this week....so I'm going to make it for the holidays...and will be leaving out the nuts as well. Not because we are allergic but just because it's not my favorite part (my favorite part IS the wheat chex that has gobs of seasoning). YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My mom makes my husband pretzel-less Chex mix as a Christmas gift every year. Nothing beats the homemade stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chex mix is one of my favorite holiday munchies. My MIL makes a huge batch of it. :) Sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chex mix is my favorite road trip snack. Your recipe looks easy enough to make for the Thanksgiving drive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT!!! treat to have on hand for company.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love this recipe! I've had it before, don't remember if it also included nuts or not but it sure was delicious. Thanks for posting it, I'm going to make some for football time on Thanksgiving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom always makes yummy Chex mix. This is comfort food!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...