Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Delicious Apple Muffins


This week's Food Network Challenge Chef, Ellie Krieger, had so many wonderful recipes I had a hard time choosing which one to make!  Ellie markets herself as a healthy cook... in fact, she has 30 healthy recipes posted on the Food Network Website designed to kick-off the new year (and the resolution to eat healthier).  Many of the recipes look delicious.



About two weeks ago, we watched Food Inc (great movie, if you haven't yet seen it), and Frog Prince decided that he too would be more concerned about what he's eating.  His first major change... saying goodbye to Fruity Cheerios.  {insert, angels singing}.

With Frog Prince heading to work well before the sun comes up, I've been looking for some yummy, make-ahead breakfasts that he can warm up and enjoy before he goes outside in the frigid cold oh so early in the morning.



Thus, Ellie's Apple Muffins caught my attention.  This might have also had something to do with the fact that I scored 9 lbs. of apples last week at the grocery store for less than 33 cents a pound :)  I tweaked the recipe a bit (omitting the nuts, of course) by upping the milk in order to omit the oil.  They turned out wonderful.     



Apple Muffins -  Adapted from Ellie Krieger

Topping
2 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Dry Ingredients
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

"Wet" Ingredients
3/4 C brown sugar
1 C applesauce
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C buttermilk (1 C milk + 1 T vinegar)
1 apple, chopped

Mix together dry ingredients.



Then, in a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.



Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, stirring well to moisten.



Add in the apples.



Pour into ~20 muffin cups (the recipe said 12!!); and top with the topping mixture.



Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.



Enjoy!



They are light, and fluffy and ... yummy.

14 comments:

  1. I am so sad that I didn't play today:-( Those muffins look really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a warm muffin in the morning also. So glad you guys enjoyed these, they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really yummy! I love the pictures you took too =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the shout out about FOOD, INC. I did a post of a review awhile back, and it is slowly changing the way i shop and at the least an awareness while I shop...

    http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/2009/11/food-inc-important-movie-for-foodies.html

    These muffins are a great example of my goals... will be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this the solution to my terrible apple muffins problem?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look yummy! I like the chunks of apple in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great breakfast treat. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bookmarked this recipe as well. I love apples in baked goods (or in anything for that matter). The cross section picture looks wonderful!! Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh yum, I don't think I've ever made apple muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love the little topping =D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son and I absolutely love these. He gobbles them up and asks for "more" in sign language. Yes! Thanks, SnoWhite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these muffins this past weekend and have been enjoying them for breakfast all week. Thanks for a yummy muffin recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...