Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

Frog Prince's request for Thanksgiving dessert... a "real" apple pie.



I admit, my love for pie crust has been replaced by the oatmealy goodness of my apple honey pie.  But, my hubby's request didn't fall on deaf ears.  I decided to try making a "real" crust -- only using whole wheat flour (to make it healthier, of course).

Whole Wheat (mostly) Pie Crust - Adapted from Taste of Home's Light and Tasty

1/2 C flour
1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T butter, melted
3-4T cold water
(note: this makes 1 crust, double to make a second)

In a bowl, combine flours, sugar, salt and whisk together. 



Add melted butter and mix with a fork until crumbly.





Add the cold water until the dough sticks together in a ball. Then, place the ball between two sheets of plastic wrap, and press to flatten.



Roll into a large circle.



Stick the pie crust in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Then, invert the pie crust into the pie plate.



Fill with your desired filling....



And, invert a second pie crust over the top.



Seal the edges and cut a few slits in the center to bake.

Bake at 375 for about an hour (checking after 40 minutes to make sure the crust does not burn).



Allow to cool for about an hour before slicing and enjoying!



Frog Prince had to wait a whole 18 hours... it was a challenge.

But, well worth the wait.



Especially with ice cream.



Or, as leftovers for breakfast :)



This post is linked to:

8 comments:

  1. I think you have read my mind with regards to this pie crust. I am still kind of intimidated by them, but your method looks so much simpler than any I've seen or had described to me yet. Plus you can't argue with whole wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wasn't sure what whole wheat would look like but that looks delicious! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, this looks great! We also had leftover pumpkin pie for breakfast this past weekend...a nice holiday treat :) I love the idea of mixing the two flours to make the pie crust healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your results look wonderful, but I'm intrigued by how it came together with so little shortening. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of whole wheat pie crust. THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what was your feeling about the pie crust? Did you think it was hard to mess with? B/c I know you love the oatmeal pie crust. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks yummy! :) I love how you made the crust! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to have a "real" apple pie once or twice a year for special occasions. Thanks for sharing this whole wheat recipe with all of us at Our Krazy Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...