Saturday, January 23, 2010

Healthy Brownies


Yes, I said brownies.

And, healthy.

In the same phrase.


I know what you're thinking... these have to be another brownie made with black beans!

Sorry to disappoint you.  These delicious morsels do not have legumes hidden in them.

But - they do have fruit, and whole wheat flour - and you'd never know.

Meet my friend, the Dark Chocolate Decadent Brownie.


Moist.

Delicious.

Wonderful.

Perfect for date night.


Please excuse the dirty plate. I was already having seconds.

Dark Chocolate Decadent Brownies - SnoWhite

1/2 C white whole wheat flour
3/4 C sugar
6 T Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Cocoa
3 T butter (boarder line melted)
1/3 C applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips, to taste

Mix together the butter, applesauce, eggs and vanilla.  Stir well.


Add in the cocoa, sugar and flour.


Then, add in the desired amount of chocolate chips.


Pour into a lightly greased 8x8 (or 9x9) glass baking dish, and bake at 350 for ~25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Cool slightly, and enjoy your healthy whole wheat applesauce brownies.


YUM.

Save me a piece, will you?


Linked to:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Bake at 350 Flavor of the Month - Chocolate
URS: Favorite Recipes with Flour
Ingredient spotlight

28 comments:

  1. That looks amazing!! I made brownies this weekend replacing the oil with applesauce and I couldn't even tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! I might have to make those this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely sinful!!! I'm going to have to try them ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so moist! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy! :)

    I have made brownies with applesauce before and they come out moist and seemingly more cakelike rather than brownie like. At any rate, I will eat them either way---applesauce in place of oil or just good ol' oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fantastic. I always want to try new brownie recipes and here you go giving me one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy-brownies=oxymoron :D
    soooo are you going to share HOW low fat they are, huh? hum? They look fabulous. I really don't care how low they are, I have to try these. I love brownies. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a huge fan of applesauce in brownies and love that you added dark chocolate to make it even healthier with antioxidants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a little stretch to call them healthy with just that amount of applesauce... but A bit healthier and the moistness will make this a sure winner

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that color. This has become a must do for me. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look amazing!! I can't wait to try them...just as soon as we get finished with our month of no sweets. :-)

    My mouth is watering now. Brownies are my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! They sound wonderful, even if they are healthy ;D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are Special Dark chocolate chips not contaminated with tree nuts? IF that is the case, YIPPEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jill~

    Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips are safe for me to eat! Hershey's has a great labeling plan, and I've found out that their special dark is safe -- no tree nuts for me. They are nice to talk to too, if you ever need to ask questions about allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful!! I love dark chocolate that it really sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my! Have you been spying on me? LOL! I love dark chocolate! These look delish regardless if they are healthy or not! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make brownies with beans all the time. Thanks for sharing another healthy alternative

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Brownie! Where have you been all of my life?

    ReplyDelete
  19. These don't look healthy! But I am sure they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmm...those do look dark & delicious! I bet they are really moist with the applesauce, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! I love dark chocolate, and I love using applesauce in baking. These sound so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. so glad that I found this recipe I love brownies and always looking for great ways to make food more nutritious

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. SnoWhite, these are absolutely FABULOUS!!! I made them for my family for the 4th of July and everyone loved them! My Dad is on a special diet and because these are healthy, he could enjoy them, too! Thank you for such a winning recipe! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I am so happy that you enjoyed these brownies.

      Delete
  25. These tasted great, but they didn't rise at all. Mine are about 1/2" thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try adding in 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. baking powder if you want them to rise a bit.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...