Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

If you've been a long-time reader of this blog, the recipe I am about to post will look familiar to you.



I originally posted this recipe in May when I first purchased jumbo muffin tins!  Since then, I have dearly loved the jumbo muffins largely because they are so much easier to clean!

When we made these muffins this morning, I tried making them with 100% whole wheat, and used homemade granola for the topping, tried just one egg, and reduced the vanilla to enhance the lemon flavor.


Since things have been a little crazy around here with Frog Prince getting ready for a big interview, I haven't had time to type up my new recipes.... so I'll whet your appetite with this one.

Enjoy!

Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Muffins - Adapted from Quaker Oats

1/4 granola
1 C white whole wheat flour
1/4-1/2 C brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1 1/2 C Oats (Either quick or old fashioned)
1 C milk
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 T applesauce
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 C fresh or frozen (do not thaw) blueberries

Combine the wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder and oats in a large bowl.



In a separate bowl, mix the milk, lemon zest, vanilla, egg white and applesauce.


Then, mix together the wet and dry ingredients.  After, gently fold in the blueberries.



Fill the muffin tins almost full, and sprinkle with granola.

Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

8 comments:

  1. Lemon and blueberries are heavenly together. And jumbo muffins are just heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blueberry-lemon combo. So delicious. I'm surprised these don't have lemon juice in them. They look really really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE muffins, and you just made me jealous that I can't eat one of these at this very moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has nothing to do with this particular recipe, but did your silicone muffin liners ever stop lending a chemical taste to your muffins? My MIL bought me a silicone mini-muffin pan for Christmas, and when I tried it out, it not only made the kitchen reek, but they tasted like plastic. Ick! Trying to decide what to do about it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn on the muffin liner front...I might end up selling our silicone pan, too. I didn't find it easier to clean, either, and the nasty smell/taste is just gross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you done these with cranberries?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Martha A.

    I have not - I think they'd be good, although maybe a little tart because of the cranberry lemon combo. Let me know if you try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...