Sunday, May 3, 2009

Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Muffin

Did you know Quaker has tons of delicious recipes made with oatmeal on their website? I recently found this gem, and have been dying to try them. I even treated myself to a jumbo muffin tin, which was an excellent idea for these delicious muffins. I also got to use my nested bowls (small, medium, large) for this recipe, which was really fun :)



These muffins are super healthy -- I made mine with whole wheat flour, and no oil! I also decreased the sugar by 1/4 C by using brown sugar instead of white. I'm sure you can use



Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Muffins - Modified from Quaker Oats

1 3/4 C oats (either quick or old fashioned), divided
2 T brown sugar
1 C flour (+2 T if using old fashioned)
1/4 C brown sugar
1 T baking powder
dash, salt
1 C milk
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 T applesauce (or oil)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw!)


Heat oven to 400. Spray 12 (or 6 jumbo) muffin tins with non-stick spray.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 C oats (I may try using Old Fashioned just for the topping) and 2 T brown sugar, and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, applesauce, lemon zest and vanilla; mix well.





In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 C oats with remaining dry ingredients. Mix well.



Then, add wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing until just moistened.





Gently fold in blueberries (I rinsed my frozen ones before adding, and blotted them dry to avoid all the purple water!).



Fill muffin cups almost full and sprinkle with the topping.





Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Cool on a wire wrack for 5 minutes, then remove and serve.





Frog Prince's reaction... these are lemony! I like 'em.


5 comments:

  1. These look delicious - and healthy! I'll have to add them to my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These look so good. Now that I have fresh blueberries I am definately going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these tonight for my sisters and mom who are staying with me for a few days. They turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, i just wanted to say i LOVE your blog and the recipes have been wonderful so far!

    but in this recipe you say to add lemon juice(and i think you meant the zest) and also the original calls for 1 tablespoon baking powder and yours only says 1/2. hopefully they still come out ok using the half...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for catching that, Heather! I've updated the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...