Monday, January 11, 2010

Mom's Pepper Jelly

Pepper Jelly makes a delicious appetizer atop whole grain crackers with cream cheese.


Not only is it good as an appetizer, but it's great to make sweet and sour pork/chicken!  Here's my mom's recipe!

Raspberry Pepper Jelly - Mom

2-3 red bell peppers (about 2 3/4 cups)*
1-2 T. jalepeno peppers (I use 1)

3/4 C raspberry vinegar
3/4 C white vinegar
6 1/2 C sugar 

1/2 T butter
3 oz. liquid fruit pectin



*you can also use green, purple, orange or yellow bell peppers; red and green make fun holiday colors!

Cut peppers into pieces and remove seeds.  



Put peppers and half of the vinegar in food  processor and chop until the peppers are medium to fine.


Add this and rest of vinegar to sugar in large 5 qt. pan and bring to a full rolling boil.  


Add 1/2 tsp butter to reduce foam. 


Stir in pectin quickly. 


Return to a full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.  


Remove from heat and skim off any foam with metal spoon (I usually don't have much foam).  


Ladle quickly into prepared jars.  Fill to 1/8" of top.  Wipe rims, cover with flat lids and screw bands tightly.  Invert jars 5 minutes then turn upright. Lids will make a "ping" sound when sealing.  Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Refrigerate any jars that do not seal.

Note:  After about 2 hours shake jars to disburse peppers that have risen to the surface.  It just makes a nicer appearance when gift giving.



Linked to: Ingredient Spotlight

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe! I was hoping you would post the recipe when I saw the recipe for the sweet and sour pork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pepper jelly! I make my mom's kind which is different from this one, but this looks delish! I love it with cream cheese on a cracker. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!! I can't wait to get in the kitchen and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really loving and appreciating these posts about your mom. I think some of my best bonding has come from cooking with my mom. She lost her mom at a young age so I really really take the time to appreciate everything about our relationship. When I read your blogs about your mom it really makes me feel warm and happy. Thanks for sharing all of this and you are so blessed to have an awesome mom (although I'm sure you didn't need me to say that, you seem to already know =0))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect to give to someone! So delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love pepper jelly. I have tons of jars still from my canning in the summer. I think I'll use one to make the sweet and sour pork like you mention. great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite! My mom makes this around Christmas each year, so yummy with some cream cheese & wheat thins. Your recipe is a little different though, I'll have to try it with the raspberry vinegar, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrific recipe. I can tell this is going to be delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...