Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sweet and Sour Pork (updated)



I know I've mentioned before that my mom used to bake goodies for a craft sale she put on with two of her good friends (they had 50 crafters at their sale!!). One treat she made was pepper jelly.



If you've never had pepper jelly... I urge you to give it a try. It's quite delicious, especially on a cracker with a little bit of cream cheese!!

This fall, my mom made her batch of pepper jelly, but somehow crystals formed in the jar :( Never fear, her ingenuity led her to a great new meal... sweet and sour pork!



Sweet and Sour Pork - Mom

1 pork roast, 4-5 pounds
1 jar (about 6-8oz) pepper jelly
1 jar (small) chili sauce
1 medium onion, sliced

Slice the onions and layer them across the bottom of your crockpot. Set the roast on top of the onions (this helps prevent the meat from sticking to the bottom of your crockpot).

Then, pour the pepper jelly and chili sauce over the roast.



Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until the internal temperature of the pork reaches the proper temperature.



Serve over rice, and use the juice as a glaze.



Delicious.



And, way better than eating out!

Linked to:

5 comments:

  1. Would your mom mind sharing her recipe for pepper jelly? I had it a few years ago and have been wanting to make it ever since!!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is delicious. I love to use our jalapeno jelly on a roast also, yum!!!

    Here's my recipe in case your interested:
    http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2009/04/28/crock-pot-roast-with-potatoes-and-carrots/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--that looks amazing! I'll have to be on the lookout for pepper jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wondered what to do with pepper jelly---sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had pepper jelly, but your recipe looks so yummy now I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...