Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Birthday Special



Yesterday, I asked you guys what you did for birthdays at your place!

It was fun to see that for most families, the birthday person chooses the menu - no ifs, ands or buts!
  • Some of you go out for dinner as a special treat so you can get the night off of cooking, or enjoy time together with extended family.  
  • Others have a set breakfast across all your family members' birthdays, and have a dinner of choice.  
  • Some of you have a favorite dessert ... like Mrs. Logan's Chocolate Cake, or Lemon Meringue Pie, or a new tradition of ice cream cake!  
For us, we let the birthday person choose their cake/dessert and their breakfast... but our dinner meal was solidified during our early months of dating....


The first time I tasted this dish, I knew it was something special.


Tasty, white cheddar cheese.  Yum-O.

Frog Prince made it for me while we were dating.  It was so tasty, we decided it would become our special occasions dish!  We eat it twice a year... once in February and once in May!


I posted this recipe originally when I had just a few faithful folks reading my cooking blog, so I am going to re-post the recipe today... since this recipe is too good not to be shared.


Enjoy our birthday special: White Cheddar Mac and Cheese!


White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese - Modified by Frog Prince from Kim's Kitchen

3/4 of a 16oz box of whole wheat penne rigate pasta
3 T butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 T flour
1 3/4 C milk
10oz block of Sharp Vermont White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Paprika

Cook pasta as directed.


Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a stir fry pan.



Stir in salt and pepper, to taste. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat, and slowly add milk.


(I always seem to have trouble with this step, and have found that I can alternatively whisk the flour into the milk, and add the mixture to the butter -- it tends to be less clumpy this way).

Return the pan to the range, and gradually increase the heat; stir constantly. When the mixture reaches a boil, stir for 1 minute (it should be thickening nicely), and then remove from the heat.


Stir in the cheese, allowing the heat from the mixture to melt the cheese.



Drain pasta, and place in a glass 2-3 quart baking dish.


Pour cheese sauce over the pasta and stir to coat.



Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.


Sprinkle mac and cheese with paprika and bake for an additional 5 minutes.


Serve warm. With green veggies.



Enjoy :)

8 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy. Can't wait to give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful comfort food... Happy birthday to someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! i found this earlier and i made this for new year's. my entire family LOVED it! thank you!!! it is SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM...the ultimate comfort food!! I like the idea of using white cheddar. I love that sharp Vermont white from Cabot cheese. I'll be giving this a whirl :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. So is this the big day? Happy Birthday!! I know it is close anyway. I cannot wait to try this. I love white cheddar mac and cheese. Is white cheddar hard to find?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love homemade macaroni and cheese. Never tried it with white cheddar, so I'll have to make this soon!
    I have an award for you on my blog: http://www.kitchenkoala.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family would love this. I will have to try this recipe. Comfort in a spoon! Thanks for sharing. I have a dil that is a vegetarian and I am always looking for dishes she would like. This one fits the bill.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. Try making a quick pizza and see if your family doesn't love it. Sometimes I use pizza sauce to make it, but in Uruguay they made it with thin slices of tomatoes instead. The cooked tomato with the cheese is so good. I don't even add meat on my side and I just love it. Plus it can be made very quickly. I hope your family likes it.

    Blessings and stop by again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...