Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Broccoli Smashed Potatoes


While my sister visited, she requested honey-lime crockpot chicken, and of course, I obliged.  Thus, I was looking for a good side dish when I came across this recipe from Patrick and Gina Neely.  Perfect -- they are this week's Food Network Challenge Chefs!  And, their potatoes were great!



Broccoli Smashed Potatoes - Adapted from the Neely's
{Print Recipe}

1 lb. potatoes
1 broccoli head, chopped, (~3 C)
1/4 C milk
1/4 C cream
2-4 T butter, as desired
salt and pepper to taste

Wash, peel and cube the potatoes - done by my precious little sister!


Then, boil in salted water until tender.

About 5 minutes before potatoes are done, add in the broccoli.


Drain the water from the broccoli and potatoes.

Return the broccoli and potatoes to the pan.


In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.  Then, stir in the milk and cream.


Pour this mixture onto the potatoes and broccoli.


Use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes.


Season with salt and pepper.


Enjoy!


This post is linked to:
Ingredient Spotlight
URS

14 comments:

  1. BOTH of these recipes sound yummy and since I'm heading to the store for food today, I'm writing them down to add to this week's menu. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've never thought of putting broccoli in with mashed potatoes, but that sure looks good! I'll have to remember this for the next time I make mashed taters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my favorite foods...mashed taters and broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how my kids would react to broccoli in their mashed potatoes......

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to get your kiddos to eat broccoli! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! When I studied abroad in college, the dining hall at our university always made a mix of mashed potatoes/carrots and it was really good. I had never even considered mixing a veggie in before that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo those look amazing! we tried califlower, i might have to try broccoli yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother used to mix peas in with his mashed potatoes and I thought he totally ruined the potatoes! Broccoli is a different story though. Those potatoes look good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to sneak in more vitamins to one of their favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good! Can I smother them in sharp cheddar? It took me a long time to figure out what was in the pot with the potatoes and broccoli.....it's the overhead light. Hmmmm....long day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to try this, sound delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good...I will try this one....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...