Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Classic French Bread



My mom makes a delicious French bread.... and it even has some wheat flour in it! When she makes it - she uses her cool French bread loaf pans. I just make it on a cookie sheet... but the shape looks a lot different.



Mom's Classic French Bread - Mom
Makes 1 1/2 lb. loaf

1 1/4 C water
3/4 tsp. salt
3 1/2 C bread flour (I used 1 C whole wheat)
2 T yeast

Egg wash
1 egg
1 T water

Place the ingredients in a bread maker and make the dough according to the manufacturers directions.



When dough is done -- shape into two loaves.

Cover and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Then, use an egg wash and brush the dough.



Bake for 5-10 more minutes.



Slice and serve.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, nice! I like that you used the breadmaker AND the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love French Bread. This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had yummy french bread yesterday and E made it into bruschetta to go with our spaghetti. So yummy!! I've never seen French bread pans, what are they like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there anything more satisfying than taking essentially glue and making a loaf of bread!

    god at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds so very good !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SOOOOOO incredibly happy that you posted this!!! I have tried many times to make french bread, reg. bread, etc. and failed. And so now I use my breadmaker and am happy! But I haven't tried french bread yet...I'll be doing this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will give this a try this weekend. I've not been altogether satisfied with my French bread attemps. I'm currently developing a multigrain bread that we are really liking. I should be able to share that soon.I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say for Crock Pot Wednesday this week. Mister Linky is up and ready for your link. Thanks so much for joining me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it supposed to be 2 Tablespoons of yeast as the recipe says? Or 2 teaspoons?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these tonight :) They turned out great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...