Thursday, March 4, 2010

Green Broccoli Soup



Looking for a perfect St. Patty's Day Green recipe?  Might I suggest this very green soup?  It's packed with spinach and broccoli and full of flavor.  There is a hint of lemon, which surprisingly was quite delicious.  Enjoy!

Very Green Broccoli Soup- Adapted from Michael Chairello

1 1/2 lb. broccoli
5 stalks of asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (optional)
1 tsp olive oil
2 T minced garlic (about 5 large cloves)
2 T minced onion
1/2 C diced celery
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
5 C chicken stock/veggie stock
2 C packed spinach
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 C cream/milk/half and half
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large saucepan, saute the garlic, onion and celery in the olive oil until tender. Season with pepper.



Add in the chopped broccoli (and asparagus, if desired), and continue to saute for about 1 minute, stirring well.



Then, add in the broth and thyme and cover. Allow the veggies to simmer for 10 minutes, until broccoli is tender.



In a blender, add spinach and lemon zest.



Then, add in a few cups of soup, and puree.





Return to the pan, and repeat blending for remaining soup.



Add in milk/cream and heat until warmed throughout.



Serve with freshly grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, if desired.



Linked to:

12 comments:

  1. oh yum! Think the immersion blender would be sufficient?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to use those stalks we always have leftover from the broccoli florets. I think I would use the blender on this one, if you wanted it creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spinach AND brocoli...two of my favorite veggies. I can't wait to give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my site and commenting. This soup looks yummy and healthy! I think I will make some on St. Patty's Day :)

    Stephanie
    www.momreviewtb.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love broccoli soup and this sounds perfect ewith the spinach! Great fun food for St Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love broccoli soup and this sounds perfect ewith the spinach! Great fun food for St Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just used up my broccoli stalks in broccoli slaw. I will try this the next time I have some. It sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great St. Paddy's Day recipe! I could never get my hubby to eat it (just too green), but I would. ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could really go for some of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allie's favorite soup and we will definitely be making it on St. Pat's!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy that sounds delicious! I'm going to copy this for sure. Thanks so much.

    Happy Foodie Friday and Erin Go Braugh...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...