Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Roasted Tomato Soup

Neither my hubby or I are big tomato soup fans.  For some reason, I decided to try Michael Chiarello's Tomato Soup recipe this week for the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge.  And, I am glad that I did.


This soup is so easy (even without an imersion blender) and tastes wonderful! I reduced the olive oil from 3/4 C to 1 T, and omitted the butter.  In addition, I replaced much of the cream with milk, just adding a splash of cream for flavor at the end. 


Frog Prince even tried a bowl and was surprised by the taste :)

Tomato Soup (that Frog Prince will eat) - Adapted from Michael Chiarello

1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes (I used petite diced)
1 T olive oil (divided)
1/2 C celery, diced
1/2 C carrot, diced
2 T minced onion
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 C chicken broth (or veggie broth)
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 C milk
splash of heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste

On a lightly greased cookie sheet (or tinfoil) spread out the drained tomatoes.  Drizzle with a 1/2 T of olive oil, and stir to coat.  Sprinkle with pepper, as desired.


Roast the tomatoes in an oven (or toaster oven) for 15-ish minutes at 450, until the tomatoes become hot and deeply colored red.


Meanwhile, saute the carrots, garlic and celery in a stockpot in the remaining 1/2 T olive oil.


Add in the broth, juice from the drained tomatoes and the minced onion.


Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 5-10 minutes, while the tomatoes finish roasting.  Veggies should be getting soft at this point.  Add in the basil.


Add in the tomatoes and continue simmering for 5 more minutes.  The veggies should be tender, and most of the liquid evaporated.


Transfer in batches to a blender, or if you have an immersion blender, use that.  I don't, and just transferred to my trusty blender and it worked wonderfully.


Return to the stove and add in the milk and splash of cream.  Heat thoroughly and enjoy!


This was excellent with a grilled tomato and mozzarella cheese sandwich!

This post is linked to:
Mouthwatering Monday
Slightly Indulgent
Tasty Tuesday
DIY Day
URS: Tomatoes
Ingredient Spotlight
SoupaPalooza

21 comments:

  1. This looks yummy and I am not even a huge fan of tomato soup either. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that does look really good! and it looks easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very similar to my personal version of tomato soup (which I made last evening), except I've never roasted my tomatoes. And I use dill instead of basil. It's so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU for this recipe! It looks delicious and healthy and I'm anxious to try it. My two toddlers LOVE tomato soup but the canned version is filled with salt and corn syrup. Looking forward to trying this much healthier version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious. It reminds me of the tomato soup they used to serve at my high school cafeteria (one of the few positive memories!). I've wanted to replicate the recipe but haven't seen anything even close...this just might be the ticket!
    I also like your healthier modifications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you adapted it to make it even healthier! I don't usually care for tomato soup, but there are a couple times a year when I crave it, along with a grilled cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish I wasn't the only one in my home that loved tomato soup. (Especially the Tomato Basil Soup from la Madeliene restaurants!) YUM-O! I will have to put this recipe in my list of "to make" and hopefully I can freeze portions of it individually and have them just for ME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been a tomato soup fan either, and since the store bought kind is not gluten free, I haven't bothered with it. This sounds really good, though, and it's gluten free. Homemade is always better anyway, right? Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a big tomato lover so I stick to Campbell's tomato soup if I have a craving for it...but this looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! your photos look good enough to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tomato soup but my hubby doesn't. I'm going to try this and see if he'll eat it. yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look like a lovely soup. I love the way you were able to cut the fat from the base recipe. I'm sure this tastes every bit as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love tomato soup. Yours looks great.

    I am having a giveaway. Stop by.

    Win - Giveaway - Cookware http://tinyurl.com/yb63tsf

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you had luck with yours:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love tomato soup (and a grilled cheese sandwich - which makes me want to try your grilled tomato and mozzerella - do you add basil?). I have never made it but I can imagine it's great! I need to remember this in the summer when I need to do something with all of the tomatoes! Thanks for cooking with FNCCC~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can only imagine the depth of flavor with the roasted tomatoes...wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never thought to roast the tomatoes....I think this might be the secret to the sucess!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful! I love that the tomatoes are roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love tomato soup and I bet roasting the tomatoes in this recipe make for a great flavor! There is nothing better than tomato soup with grilled cheese! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I finally made this tonight and it was very good! I did end up adding quite a bit more milk because 1/2 c. made it pretty thick and my kids like a thinner soup. But very tasty! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...