Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ham and Potato Casserole

My mom made this hotdish for my family growing up -- it's creamy goodness still signifies "home" to me.  Frog Prince and I enjoy this recipe too, and it's one of our top comfort foods!


Yet, with 6 healthy veggies and wheat flour, I feel good about eating this comfort food :)


Ham and Potato Casserole - Adapted from Mom

2 C cubed potatoes
2 large carrots, sliced
2 ribs of celery, sliced
3 C water
2 C diced, cooked ham
1/4 C chopped green bell pepper
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 C chopped onion
3 T white wheat flour*
1 1/2 C milk
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 C whole wheat bread crumbs*

Begin by placing the diced potatoes, sliced celery and carrots in a large stock pot.  Cover with 3 C water and simmer until veggies are tender.


Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and ham together in a skillet until the mushrooms are cooked and ham is warmed.


Then, combine the flour and 1/2 C of milk together; whisk until flour is dissolved in the milk.
(This is my cheaters way of making a roux... no butter needed!)

Add in the remaining milk, and heat in a sauce pan until boiling. Stir the entire time -- and remove from heat when mixture thickens.


Add in the cheese and allow the heat from the mixture to melt the cheese.


Mmmmm... cheese sauce.


When the veggies are tender, drain any excess liquid and then spread into a lightly greased 9x13 glass baking dish.


Top with the ham and pepper mixture.


Pour the cheese sauce over the veggies.


Then, sprinkle the whole wheat bread crumbs over the top.


Bake at 375 for 25 minutes until the hotdish is bubbly and the bread crumbs are lightly browned. I often broil the dish for the last few minutes to help crisp up the bread crumbs.


Smell the taste of "home"  :)


Enjoy!

*If you wish to make this free of gluten, (1) use corn starch as your thickener, and (2) omit or use GF bread crumbs!

Linked to: Ingredient Spotlight x2, URS, Tasty Tuesday

9 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful...thanks
    Blessings,
    ~Ronda~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I know I would love it. Thanks for sharing a tried-and-true family recipe. Those are always the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious!! But then again everything you make does! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I've got some ham in the freezer and LOTS of potatoes. I'm going to make this next week. Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! I'm saving this to try when we get back from vacation. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found this recipe from your Fall Dinner post....what a d'lish looking dish! I've been looking for a good ham and potato dish...hooray I've found it!

    Thanks SnoWhite!
    ~avril :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new favorite at our house!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks yummy! Snow is in the forecast tonight--looks like a comfort kind of night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love you blog! Thank you for posting such great and healthy recipes! I have some left over ham so I was searching your recipes for something to make tonight and this looks perfect. I already have everything to make it at home, so thats a plus! :)
    Have a great weekend,
    Ellen-Daile

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...