Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kentucky Hot Browns


**Warning... this is not a healthy meal.  It's a treat.  Perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers!!**


Every once and a while, I like to make something that reminds Frog Prince of home.  So... while we were dating a few years back, I found a recipe to use up our Thanksgiving turkey.  A recipe called Kentucky Hot Browns... using white Texas toast, bacon, gravy, cheese, and butter!  Yikes.


Don't ask me why I tried this recipe... I must have been silly.  But, silly or not, my hubby liked this recipe and has since asked me to make it every time we have turkey.  This time, I gave in.  And, tried to make it a little healthier.

Kentucky Hot Browns - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

Thick slices of toast (I used French Bread that I baked in the bread maker)
1 sliced tomato
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
Slices of leftover turkey (warmed)
1 C leftover gravy
3/4 C milk
1/8 tsp. pepper
1-2 T flour (depending on how thick your gravy is...)
6 slices of bacon

Begin by placing the sliced bread into a 9x13 glass baking dish.


Top the bread evenly with sliced turkey and sliced tomatoes (I've thought about adding avocado too!). My hubby doesn't like "raw" tomatoes, so I just added the tomatoes to my slice :)


Pour gravy into a sauce pan -- add additional flour mixed with ~1/2 C milk if you need to thicken your gravy more.  If not, just add the gravy and milk to the saucepan, and heat until warmed.





Remove from the heat and stir in 3/4 of the cheese.


Evenly pour the gravy over the bread and sprinkle with cheese.



Broil in the oven for 3-4 minutes until the dish is bubbly.

Then, top with cooked bacon.


Serve with lots and lots and lots of veggies.

18 comments:

  1. Oh. my. word. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, unhealthy is often very tasty in my experience. That looks and sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks devine! Eggs Benedict is our once in a very blue moon treat. Very yummy but loaded with fat & calories :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made this KY girl very homesick! I just might have to make these in the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second that. Oh. my. Word. YUMMM!! Funny, I also load up on veggies with an unhealthy meal like that will somehow negate it :) I need to stop feeling guilty about eating unhealthy once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks amazing. Once in awhile it is all right to pull out a recipe and make it just because it is THAT GOOD!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound awesome. I'll have to try to remember this in the fall, when we have all the Thanksgiving leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband just fell in love!! Gonna have to try it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my this is some treat! I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely have to try this recipe. My husband and son would love it!!! I think the avocado would be a very yummy addition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does sound delicious, I can see why you call it a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so good. If you are ever in the area, THIS is the BEST place for a Kentucky Hot Brown

    http://www.talbotts.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally just made a turkey on Sunday. 22 lbs...I have buckets of leftovers! Even plenty of sliced breast meat, so I'm excited to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOLY MOSES! For a once in a while treat THIS sounds wonderful. (This from someone trying to kick some pounds to the curb - and currently drooling).

    Bet my hubby would just love this (minus the tomatoes too)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is a wonderful little treat - treats are very important :)

    Thank you so much for linking this to This Week's Cravings! Please join us next week when we share crockpot recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking with us at This Week's Cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Somehow missed this and am now mourning the fact that all of our turkey leftovers are gone. Will HAVE to make these next time we have leftover turkey. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...