Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Casserole



This week's Food Network Chef is Sunny Anderson.  I chose her cheesy mushroom and broccoli casserole because I love cheese, mushrooms and broccoli.

I'm easy to please.

When it comes to food ;-)

Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Casserole - Adapted from Sunny Anderson
2 T white wheat flour
8oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 T minced onion
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 C whipping cream
1/2 C chicken stock
16 oz. broccoli (I used frozen)
1 C Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
1 C Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese
3 C cooked brown rice
salt and pepper, to taste

Cook the rice according to package directions; I used my rice cooker. Steam the broccoli over the top of the cooking rice, if you have that option. Otherwise, cook in a saucepan.



While rice is cooking, begin sauteing the mushrooms together with the garlic and onion.



Mix the 2 T flour together with the chicken stock.  Add in the cream.  Then, pour the flour/chicken stock/cream mixture into the skillet with the mushrooms and heat until the mixture thickens.



Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from the heat, and add in the cheeses.



Stir in the steamed broccoli.



YUM!



Stir in the rice.



Spread mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 glass baking dish.



Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.

Bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes until warm and cheese melts.



Feel free to make this dish ahead of time -- just increase the cooking time to about 30 minutes, or until the center of the casserole is warm.  If you do bake it longer, I recommend covering it for at least half the cooking time so the dish doesn't dry out.

12 comments:

  1. The pictures look great! It looks delicious, thanks! I love broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love that too! My hubby on the other hand is the picky one and he doesn't eat broccoli or mushrooms or "saucy, gravy stuff" as he calls it. I might try this for a gathering where others will eat it too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems very similar to the mushroom, chicken, brown rice bake...but the addition of cheese may make this the one we choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This looks amazing. Super YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing and super tasty! I really want to make this soon, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm. My mouth is watering already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum ! Yum! Yum! My mother in law makes something very similar that we endearingling call "mush". Comfort food we all love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum. cheese, mushrooms, and broccoli? what's not to love???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummm, that looks great! I would definitely make this if it weren't for my picky man. Maybe if I chopped the mushrooms up really small, didn't use a lot of sauce and called it a "bake" instead of a casserole I could sneak it by him...Hmmm... A girl can dream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks yummy! Mub's Sunny dish looked great, too. I love to watch Sunny's show. Real food that I might actually make!
    Hope all is going well with your big week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderful! I love that it doesn't have canned soup in it. I don't have anything -against- canned soup but it's hard to come by here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made this last night and it was amazing! I LOVED it and the only suggestion my husband gave was that he'd like either chicken or turkey in it...but that's what he'd say about any vegetarian dish. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...