Thursday, September 16, 2010

Balsamic Chicken and Rice



I've had a bottle of balsamic vinegar sitting around our place for a while. When I lived in Alaska, I got hooked on using it for sauteed veggies. Then, I got off that kick, and our bottle sits unused.


This was the perfect thing to crack open the vinegar for -- delightfully seasoning the chicken! And, such an easy skillet dinner too.


Balsamic Chicken and Rice - Adapted from Park Avenue
{Print Recipe}

2 medium chicken breasts
1 T olive oil
3 T balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
8oz mushrooms, sliced
3/4 C chicken broth
1 tsp. basil

Begin by cooking the chicken in a large skillet with 1 T olive oil and garlic.  Cook roughly 6 minutes/side, until browned and fairly well cooked.


When chicken is just about done, add in the mushrooms and saute them until they cook off much of their liquid.


Add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar and basil.


Cover, and simmer the mixture for 15ish minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and has reached 180 degrees.


 The sauce will thicken as you cook it too -- yielding a really nice sauce.


We served ours with brown rice and broccoli.



A quick, tasty and easy dinner -- that's my kind of meal.

Photobucket

This post is linked to:

11 comments:

  1. I love what balsamic does for a meal! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sno, that plate looks beautiful!! I can't wait to try this one. I love using balsamic vinegar, but I don't seem to very often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Can't wait to make it, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good, and healthy. Can't wait to try it. I'm adding it to my menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH YUM!! I love balsamic and this looks perfect. Now I am really hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I'm putting it in my file and making it soon. I could eat chicken every night - well, with an occasional pizza thrown in, and even then, I like to make my own pizza and put chicken on top of that too!

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love balsamic vinegar and cannot imagine having a bottle around that long!!! I literally eat vinegar on almost everything, except for sweet stuff. Vinegar is my bane of life! = )
    I just had mashed potatoes with gravy today with vinegar on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. I wish I wasn't the only one in my family that loves mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sliced strawberries marinated in balsamic for 30 min. to a couple of hrs. and served over a good quality vanilla ice cream or served over plain Greek yogurt = joy in MY kitchen! Even better if you reduce the balsamic until thick & syrupy before marinating the strawberries in it. Add fresh cracked black pepper if you're into that sort of flavor combination. Another yummy option is to sprinkle toasted pignoli over top.

    I love to add balsamic to vinaigrettes especially if I'm making a green salad that includes fruit such as pears or berries. Sometimes I substitute balsamic for red wine vinegar and sometimes I add a little balsamic along with the red wine vinegar to cut the acidity with a little sweetness.

    I can't wait to try this chicken recipe. It's so simple and sounds so good. Mushrooms are my favorite vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! And couldn't be any more easy. I really like balsamic but usually use it on veggies... I'm going to have to give this a try! Thank you for sharing. ~Prairie Story

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your recipe & especially appreciate you educating people about the use of kitchen thermometers. :) I use mine all the time. Thanks for linking up to SIT - I'm linking to your recipe next week. :) Hugs!
    Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...