Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cheesy Spinach Lasagna Soup

I believe we have a winner.



While soup season has only just begun, I do believe this will be our favorite soup recipe this winter.


We even made the soup twice just this past week alone!!


I have a feeling it will be on our menu a lot over the next couple of months!



Cheesy Spinach Lasagna Soup - Modified from Out of the Box and Into the Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

1/2 lb. Italian turkey sausage
2 T minced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 can petite diced tomatoes {no salt added}
1 C tomato sauce
2 C fresh spinach
4 C chicken broth
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
1 C tortellini {whole wheat, preferred}
if desired, an additional 1/2 C pasta
1/8 C mozzarella cheese, diced into small cubes

Begin by browning the Italian sausage in a large stockpot.  Add in the minced garlic and onion and cook until the Italian sausage is done.  Drain any excess grease.  {I used ground Italian sausage that was already cooked  in making this soup -- I often keep browned meat in our freezer for easy dinner prep!}


Then, add in the tomatoes {undrained}, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.  Add in the spices.  Bring the soup to a light boil and then reduce to a simmer.


Simmer the soup for 30 minutes or longer... ours ended up simmering for ~1 hour.

Then, add in the spinach and pasta.  Allow these to cook for about 20 minutes while the pasta cooks slowly at a simmer.



Remove from the heat and then add in the diced mozzarella cheese.


Serve warm with a crusty bread and sprinkle the tops with Parmesan cheese, if desired.



This post is linked to:
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Home and Pantry Recipe Swap
What's on your plate?
What's Cooking Wednesday
Bloggy Progressive Dinner
Holiday Recipe Exchange
Homemade Holidays
SoupaPalooza

15 comments:

  1. Since I went back eight months ago to work most of my meals on prepared in a slow cooker. I miss cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! I will definitely be saving this one! Living A Bona Fide Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower!!

    http://breezybeachlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this a recipe that could be converted for a slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Christina, Yes -- I'm guessing this would work well in the crockpot. Brown the meat and then add everything but the pasta to the soup. Cover and cook on low for as long as you need. About 30 minutes before serving I would add in the pasta. Let me know if you try it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Perfect for this weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe, SnoWhite! My husband has just proclaimed it the "best soup ever." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this via your submission to the comfort food contest on mybakingaddiction.com. I knew instantly I had to try it! We had it tonight with your artisan bread recipe. Both were fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this tonight! It was very good! I used chicken italian sausage and ravioli instead of tortilini. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I linked back to your blog. :)

    http://livingabonafidelife.blogspot.com/2011/01/thursdays-eats-lasagna-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this tonight for my family and we all loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to try this - sounds so tasty on this rainy evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see that you won a slow cooker in the SoupaPlooza give-away. It feels just like I had a friend win something. You must be very excited. I know I would be. See you at the link up tomorrow. #100!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really good. Found it listed on Blessed Beyond a Doubt. I know my husband will enjoy this recipe. Bless you, Gail

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...