Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Roasted Turkey and Veggie Spread


Sandwiches for lunch can get a little boring from time to time, especially when we're limited here to cold-cut sandwiches (no PB and J here!).


This sandwich was a perfect change up on our normal sandwiches.  It reminds me of the filling from our baked veggie sandwiches.  Yum.


In fact, it's so tasty, I recently whipped up another batch - a vegetarian version - to enjoy for my lunches this week while I'm on spring break.  The veggies packed in this sandwich are wonderful, you won't even miss the meat.

Roasted Turkey and Veggie Spread - Inspired by Sweet Treats and More

4 oz. light cream cheese, softened
1/2 C chopped/shredded carrots
4 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1/2 C broccoli, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 T onion flakes
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 C shredded turkey or chicken (cooked)*
1 T olive oil
Sea Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

*Optional.  Omit for a veggie variety.

Begin by chopping the veggies.  I did this by hand... but would use a food processor if I had one!!  Place the veggies on a cookie sheet, or in a glass baking dish.


Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.


Toss in the turkey, and mix well.


Place the dish in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees. Roast the veggies for 15-20 minutes, stirring at least once during that cooking time.

Pull the veggie dish out of the oven. Add in the softened cream cheese.


Stir until well coated.


Serve warm, or refrigerate to serve later as a chilled sandwich.


We enjoyed this spread with crackers, atop a slice of bread, and in a "grilled cheese" of sorts, using Havarti cheese!



Photobucket

Linked up to: Recipe Exchange, What's on Your Plate? What's Cooking Wednesday, Tasty Tuesday, Friday Flair

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great idea!!! I just adore your blog :) I ALWAYS pack our lunches to try and save money, and this sounds like a great change of pace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I can't wait to try it. I'm pretty psyched about being your 1000th follower. Congrats on a great blog!

    Emilie
    liveeatsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your recipes but wanted to let you know I'm especially excited about this one. Going to make similar sandwiches for lunch tomorrow and want to thank you for a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to invite you to join in on a RECIPE LINK PARTY on my blog!

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/

    "Made it on Monday" is a WEEKLY recipe link party. So you can post as often as you want.
    *There will be prizes often* :)

    I hope to see some of your recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...