Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Turkey and Pepper Stew


After cooking up our whole turkey last week, I was looking for fun ways to use it up!  I saw this recipe for Turkey Stew with Peppers from Simply Recipes and quickly skimmed the ingredient list thinking it would be great for dinner.



When dinner time rolled around I read the list more carefully and discovered we did not have all the ingredients.  Who knew Hungarian Paprika wasn't a spice rack staple.  Improv time!


We love what came out of the inspiration from Simply Recipes -- thanks, Elise!



Turkey and Pepper Stew - Inspired by Simply Recipes

3 medium bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
8oz mushrooms, quartered
1 T minced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 C cubed turkey, cooked
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 C chicken broth, divided
1 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T corn starch
three shakes of paprika
two shakes of rosemary
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Begin by sauting the mushrooms and peppers together in a large skillet.  If the mixture is too dry, add 1 T chicken broth.


When the mushrooms have released their liquid, add the paprika, minced garlic cloves and the onion flakes.

Continue cooking the veggies until liquids have absorbed.  Then, add in 1/2 C chicken broth and diced, cooked turkey.  Simmer until liquids are just about absorbed.


Add in the diced tomatoes, undrained.


Season with lemon juice, pepper, sea salt and rosemary.

Simmer until the liquids are almost gone.


Meanwhile, combine the remaining chicken broth with 1 1/2 T corn starch.  Stir until corn starch is dissolved into solution {oops, science lingo here...}, and no clumps remain.


Reduce the simmering mixture to low, and pour in the corn starch mixture.  Stir to combine and allow the corn starch to thicken the pepper dish.


Remove from the heat, and serve warm!


It would be delicious over brown rice and paired with peas.


Have you ever come to dinner time only to find you don't have the ingredients you need?  Did you improvise? Change the recipe?  I'd love to hear your solutions.


Linked to: What's on Your Plate, Feasting in Fellowship Friday, I'm Lovin' ItIngredient Spotlight

10 comments:

  1. Really healthy and hearty looking recipe. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog and an excited to try some of the new recipes I have found. I didn't see anything cooked with artichokes. Is that something you could try? My kids will always heat artichokes hands down and I am running out of ways to cook it.

    Thanks,
    Sassy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great way to use leftover turkey! I'm loving all of the veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great recipe for turkey! It looks and sounds deilcious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Hungarian paprika is just sweet paprika. I put it in most meat or chicken dishes and can't cook without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfectly warm and comforting for these last few weeks of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks hearty and delicious!

    that happens to me all of the time! i usually just improvise and try to make sure my kitchen is well stocked with the basics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sassy Lewis

    I don't cook a whole lot with artichokes -- but I did just come across this mac and cheese recipe that I wanted to point in your direction:

    http://hunwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/03/spinach-and-artichoke-mac-and-cheese.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family loved this; even my Mr. Picky no vegetable guy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...