Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal




One of my bloggy friends, Lynn, posted a recipe this fall that I bookmarked right away.  We love baked oatmeal around here, and often have our traditional baked oatmeal as well as a berry baked oatmeal.  When I saw her recipe for Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal, I knew we could change up our recipe for this version quite easily.


We used sweet potato, added some additional spices, and served it with craisins and milk.  Yummy!


Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal - Inspired by Lynn's Kitchen Adventure

3 C quick cook oats
1/2 C brown sugar {or, honey/maple syrup}
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 C milk
2 T applesauce
3/4 C pureed sweet potato
Maple Syrup, for a drizzle over the top
Optional: 1/4 C craisins or cranberries

Mix together the 3 C oats, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.


Then, add in the applesauce, sweet potato puree, egg, milk and vanilla. {If you are using a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup, add it in this step}


Stir until moist.

Pour into a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking dish.  {If making the night before, stop here.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.}


Sprinkle the top with cinnamon, and drizzle maple syrup over the top.


Bake at 35- for 40 minutes, until lightly browned and center is set.


Serve warm.


Typically, I eat my baked oatmeal just plain -- but with this, I tried adding warm milk and craisins. Wow.


Alternatively, you could pour the oats into a 9x13 glass baking dish and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!


After the dish has baked and cooled, freeze in serving-size portions perfect for your family.  Remove from the freezer in the morning, warm in the microwave and then serve as described above.  It's a great, nutritious and fast breakfast for your morning.

Linked to: Full Plate Thursday, Recipe Swap, It's a Keeper, URS, Sundae Scoop, Your Recipe, My Kitchen, Fun with Food Friday, Build a Better Breakfast, Ingredient Spotlight x2

21 comments:

  1. That looks soooooo good!! I have a feeling I'll be thinking about this all day now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I love Oatmeal and sweet potatoes...I never thought of them together! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your version with the craisins. I have thought of adding raisins to mine, but I never had. I will have to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love the look of this hearty, healthy breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that looks wonderful! I love that you can freeze individual servings as well, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also was inspired by her recipe a while back and made my own fabulous version .... I really should post my rewrite and I should give your version a try as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried baked oatmeal! When I pick up shifts at the hospital, I tend to work 15-16 hr days and seldom get a lunch, so I'm always trying to find a good, filling breakfast to get me through the day. This would be a great breakfast for my son who's in kindergarten, too!!! I like the idea of freezing individual portions and popping them in the microwave to reheat...perfect for those chaotic mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes, so I really want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I am emailing this to myself. I have a can of puree that need made pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good...who knew you could bake oatmeal. Perfect for this weekend's brekkie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts. I don't know why I don't make it more often. Next time I make it I'll make sure I freeze the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect. I have a sweet potato waiting to be used and this seems like the perfect way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sno White,
    This Sweet Potato Oatmeal looks awesome. I can't wait to try this recipe, we are going to love it.Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clearly you are loving sweet potatoes! I love this, especially with the craisins!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found you through Sundae Scoop and am now a follower! Can't WAIT to try this recipe! Stop by my blog when you have a chance and join my followers :) Keep the good food coming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore baked oatmeal and think this variation sounds superb. I love sneaking vitamins in my kids' meals any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've turned this oatmeal hater into someone who's wondering 'why on earth did I half this recipe!' This is fantastic. I'm certain the rest of my family who loves oatmeal will think I'm feeding them dessert!! Thank you so much for the great recipe. We're now moving this from the 'try it-you may like it' status to 'love it, make it again!'

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen baked oatmeal recipes many a time, but just never tried it out. I just made this recipe and it's awesome! I used 1 c of pumpkin (had it pre portioned) and omitted the applesauce because I didn't have any and because of the increased 1/4c of pumpkin. It turned out perfect. I eat a bowl of oatmeal most mornings and really enjoyed the difference of having the baked variety. I will be making this often!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe!! We LOVE this one too -- and it's wonderful to know that additional pumpkin will work in place of the applesauce. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  19. This tastes wonderful, SnoWhite. Thanks for another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...