Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pizza Pockets



When Frog Prince and I were first married, I'd buy Hot Pockets for him for a quick, fast lunch.  However, we haven't had Hot Pockets in our freezer in 2+ years.  Every once and a while Frog Prince would crave one, so I added them to my list of things to make.


I'd always put them off, thinking they were much too time consuming to make.  But, I was wrong.  These went together really quickly.


I made a large batch thinking I'd stick some in the freezer, but they never made it that far.  Frog Prince and I enjoyed these for lunches and they were gone in a week.

Pizza Pockets
{makes 8, large pockets}

Dough
1 C really warm water
1 tsp. honey
1 T yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 C white whole wheat flour


Filling
Turkey pepperoni (n=50)
8 oz. Tomato paste
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
Italian cheese (~1/8 C cheese/pocket)
Parmesan cheese (1 T cheese/pocket}

Prepare dough by dissolving the yeast in the warm water.  Allow this mixture to sit for ~1 minute.  Then, add in the honey, salt and olive oil.  Using your mixer, mix in the flour.  Knead about 5 minutes until smooth.  Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the filling ingredients.


Mix together the tomato paste with the Italian seasonings until well blended.  Set aside.


 Shred cheese, if needed, and prepare the pepperoni.


When the dough is ready, lightly flour a work surface.  Divide the dough into 8 equal portions (or more, if you'd like smaller pizza pockets).

Roll out each section of dough into a small rectangle or circle.


Then, take the seasoned tomato paste and spread it on the pizza crust.

Top with pepperoni slices and cheese.


Using a pastry brush, or your finger, carefully spread a little water along the edge of the dough.  Then, fold the dough over the filling and seal it.


Press the edges with a fork.


Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.


Right before baking, moisten the tops with water and the sprinkle with additional Italian seasoning, if desired.


Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.


Serve with a dipping marinara (or leftover seasoned tomato paste) or plain.


Enjoy!

Photobucket

This post is linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Mangia Monday, Mouthwatering Monday

25 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try making pizza pockets for quite a while, but like you, thought they would be time consuming. Thanks for sharing this super easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look good. Like how you made the dough. Will have to try them. My kids love those pizza roll things and I have tried my hand at them with wonton wrappers but I like that this is a bigger "pocket".

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good.
    I just found your blog.
    Come visit me
    www.ourjoyfulliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, droool. What a hearty tasty lunch. I would have eaten them quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this posted on your menu plan and was really hoping you were going to post the recipe soon. Thanks! I think I know what's for dinner tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to try this soon. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good! If you were to freeze these, would you bake them first or freeze them and bake them "as needed"? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tara

    I would bake them first; then just reheat in the toaster oven or microwave before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This perfect for my boys! I bet I can get my husband to eat them also! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ended up on your site because I was trying to find a nut-free trail mix recipe for a patient and had to comment that these look awesome! I'll definitely have to try these soon!

    Alex

    Stop by at www.faithandnutrition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I look forward to making these on the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW!! I am loving these. They would be perfect to mkae and freeze and send in lunches!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love any bread stuffed or layered with cheese. These look wonderful. I discovered a good shortcut for making pizza pockets (we call them calzones though!). I buy dough from my local pizza shop! It's inexpensive and SO much better than the frozen supermarket stuff. It really is as good as homemade, and when I just don't have time to make it, it's a good shortcut!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look fantastic!! We always have homemade pizza for dinner on Friday night, and I'm thinking I could make a bunch of these instead.... would save a lot of mess with the little ones, I bet. Ooooooh, and for roadtrips instead of fast food! I believe you have just made my life easier. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great dinner to me!

    Come link up to "Made it on Monday"

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i featured this recipe on my 5 friday favorites! :D

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com/2011/04/5-favorites-friday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just put a batch of these in the oven! Cannot wait to eat them.. Made a few changes to the dough and used regular pizza sauce.. Will be sharing on my blog (and giving you credit for the main recipe).

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are wonderful! I made them about 2 months ago and now hubby is addicted! He requests them every week! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Making this now, but you don't say what temp the oven should be...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bake at 400 -- it's in between the photos above.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ah thanks, missed that the 4 times I looked for it lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are mini calzones. You can put all kinds of stuff in the middle (broccoli is yummy), bake and then dip in marinara sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...