Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hot Fudge


Seeing as ice cream season is just about upon us, I tried a new hot fudge topping recipe to drizzle over our homemade vanilla ice cream.





Oh, my!  What a delightful way to jazz up plain.old.vanilla.  Although I love vanilla ice cream {it is my favorite} this hot fudge sauce reminded me of the hot fudge sauce we had when I was a kid.  

Hot Fudge Sauce - Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 T butter
4 oz. dark chocolate chips
2/3 C water
4-5 T corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Begin by brining the water to a boil in a small saucepan.  


Meanwhile, melt the butter and chocolate chips together.  This can be done in the microwave, heating for 30-second intervals and stirring in between until melted.  You can also melt the chocolate butter mixture on the stove top.  


Once melted, make sure it's nice and smooth...then, carefully add it to the boiling water.  


Add in the corn syrup.  


Stir well, and then bring the small saucepan to a boil.  Reduce the heat a bit at this point to keep the mixture from boiling so hard that it boils over.  But, don't reduce it too far that you lose the boil.  Boil gently for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.  


After 9 minutes, the sauce should be thickening up nicely.  Remove from the heat at this point and cool for 10-15 minutes.  During this time, the fudge will solidify even more.  


Serve immediately atop ice cream.  Save the rest for later by transferring it to a cleaned canning jar.  Refrigerate.  


To re-heat, simply warm on the stove top or in the microwave until warm.  Then, drizzle over ice cream.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! There is nothing better than homemade fudge sauce. This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! Thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot fudge is one of those foods I'd never have thought of making myself. But this looks wonderful, and I think I'll have to give it a try this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...