Monday, July 25, 2011

Best Cherry Pitting Tip. Ever.

While visiting my in-laws around the 4th of July, their family friend, Tim, stopped by.  He was talking about making cherry jam {my in-laws live near cherry farms!}, and gave THE MOST BRILLIANT CHERRY PITTING TIP, E.V.E.R. 

DSC08467

No more messy kitchen.  No more stained fingers.  That’s a winning combination.

Directions

Fill one side of your sink or a large bowl with cold water, about 3/4 full.

DSCN5707

On the other side, fill a large bowl with cold water.

Pour all the fresh cherries in the side filled with cold water.

DSCN5708

Use your hands, or a cherry pitter, and pit each cherry right at the water surface or just below.  This minimizes the spray and keeps your hands clean too.

DSCN5716 

Place the halved and pitted cherries into the bowl on the other side of the sink.

When you are done, you just need to drain the water off of the pitted cherries.

DSCN5715

Clean up is easy.  Just dump the water and toss the pits/stems. 

DSCN5723

So simple and no mess.  That’s what I love! 

Thanks, Tim, for this tip… just in time for cherry season.

Linked to: Kitchen Tip Tuesday, Ingredient Spotlight

5 comments:

  1. This tip is great. I tend to shy away from cherry recipes because I never want to pit them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant! I wish I had viewed this tip before pitting my last batch of cherries. I'm sure you heard my grumbling from over there while I was doing them. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where was this tip last month when I made my cherry infused bourbon?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic tip and you needed a good way to pit cherries with all these fantastic recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't have a pitter, use a paper clip - just unbend it into an 'S' shape and use the s to hook the pit and pull out. Takes a bit to get into a groove, but I've pitted pounds of cherries that way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...