Saturday, January 14, 2012

White Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

White whole wheat flour is a great way to introduce more 100% whole grains to your family. 



The texture of this flour is similar to all purpose flour, along with it’s light color.  However, the nutritional value is equivalent to flours made from winter or spring red wheat. 



These pancakes are a great way to try white whole wheat flour.  The combination of the buttermilk & blueberry is refreshing & delicious, and the white whole wheat flour leaves the pancakes fluffy and light. 



White Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 – 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 heaping tsp. honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 C buttermilk
  • 1 C fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together 2 C white whole wheat flour, along with 1 tsp. baking soda, 2 tsp, baking powder and about a 1/2 tsp. salt.  Stir well.

 

Then, lightly beat two eggs in a small bowl, add the honey.




Pour the eggs and honey mixture into the dry ingredients.



Add in 3 C buttermilk. 



Whisk until combined. 



Then, fold in the blueberries.



{Alternatively, you can add the blueberries to the dry ingredients before adding the wet ones.  Tossing them in the flour mixture first will help prevent them from turning your batter a blueish-purple color}. 



Scoop the pancakes onto a hot griddle, preheated to around 350 degrees.  If your griddle is notorious for sticking, be sure to coat with with butter or olive oil as you normally would.




To scoop, I recommend using a ladle – one scoop (about 1/3 C) is the perfect size for a 3-inch pancake. 

Cook pancakes until bubbles form in the pancake.  This takes about 5 minutes.  Then, flip. 



Cook on the other side until nicely browned; an additional 2-3 minutes.



Stack on a plate and repeat until all batter is gone.



Serve warm with maple syrup, honey or a nice blueberry sauce too.



Often, I’ll eat these without anything on top – the yummy blueberries inside are good enough for me!



Your family is sure to enjoy these!



Makes – 24 3-inch pancakes
Inspired byButtermilk Pancakes


Linked to: Ingredient Spotlight , ingredient spotlight

Don't miss a recipe! Sign up for free email updates.

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh, you may have just messed with my buttermilk pancake recipe I've had memorized for years! But, it has oil so this is healthier (I usually use half white whole wheat flour). Will give these a try!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I'm craving pancakes now! They look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me hungry! I LOVE blueberry pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use white whole wheat flour a lot! I love the flavor of it. Your pancakes look scrumptious! Blueberry ones are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these this morning. I think your measurements are off. I had to almost double the flour for them to turn out. Please double check what you posted. That's a lot of food to waste if they don't turn out. My batter was very liquidy after I added the 3c of milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,

      I am sorry to hear these did not turn out for you. We've made them over 50 times and have not had a problem, so I am wondering a few things:

      1) Did you use White Whole Wheat flour, or all purpose?
      2) Did you use store-bought buttermilk or substitute the buttermilk "fix" (e.g., vinegar or lemon juice and milk)?

      If you did use a different kind of flour, you will want to decrease the liquid by at least 1/2 C. White whole wheat and whole wheat flour require additional liquids. If you used milk or a buttermilk fix, the thickness of the liquid will make a big difference. Store-bought buttermilk that has a thick consistency makes a huge difference in these pancakes. If you want to make a home substitute, I recommend plain Greek Yogurt (about 2 C worth) and 1 C milk.

      I'm not sure what else may have happened if indeed the ingredients were used as directed. Let me know!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I did use white whole wheat flour and regular milk. I've made many other pancakes that called for buttermilk with regular without a problem. That was probably it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...