Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Oat Bars

For a little birthday treat to myself, I bring you these bars…

Fudgy and oaty and boy, they are the best!

Chocolate Fudge Oat Bars – Finding Joy in My Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 2 C oats {quick or regular, or a combination}
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 C + 2-3 T butter, melted
  • 1ish C dark chocolate chips
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk

Directions

Begin by combining the 2 C white whole wheat flour and 2 C oats in a large bowl.  Add the 3/4 C brown sugar, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt and mix well. 

Meanwhile, melt 1 stick (1/2 C) + 2ish T of butter in a microwave safe bowl. 

Stir the melted butter into the oat flour mixture until the mixture is clumpy. 

Reserve 1 heaping cup of mixture. 

Then, press the remaining oat butter mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 glass baking dish. 

In the same bowl you melted the butter in earlier, add the remaining 1 T butter and 1 can sweetened condensed milk.  Add in 1 C dark chocolate chips.  Melt in 30-second intervals in the microwave until the chocolate chips are melted.  Stir after each interval. 

Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the top of the crust.  Spread out so it covers the entire crust. 

Then, gently sprinkle the remaining 1 C oat mixture over the fudge layer.  Press the layer lightly with your hands so that the topping sinks into the crust.  You’ll want to work quickly through this step because the fudge mixture sets quickly. 

Bake at 350 for 20ish minutes until the top is light brown. 

Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting to serve. 

This is an extra special treat – one I’m glad to say we’ll make every special occasion we can! 

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! These look delightful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday. these look great. One my list of possibilities for the school bake sale coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these and brought them into work for a Friday treat. All of the ingredients are pantry staples so that makes them especially easy to make. AND they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. You don't know me personally, but I love your blog. I have made many of your recipes. I love the healthier versions of things... I have a question about these bars. I have made them, but mine turn out really dry. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Everything I have made usually turns out perfectly, but these little boogers are super dry. They are quite tasty, but leave the plate, napkin, and area around you quite a mess from the crumbles when you eat them. Yours look so gooey and moist. Mine turn out crumbly and dry. Any suggestions?

    Thank you for sharing so many of your recipes. I LOVE them!!

    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee Ann -

    My recommendation is to increase the butter just a tad -- by 1-2 T. My last batch turned out a bit drier too, but in my case that was likely because I used whole wheat flour rather than white whole wheat. When the texture is ground differently as it is between red wheat & white wheat that can make a big difference in how the butter holds the flour mixture together. So, I'd try increasing the melted butter by 1-2 T, adding in increments of 1 T at a time until you get nice clumps of dough forming and the base packs nicely into the bottom of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally tried these today...delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea!! Your comment reminded me I should make them again soon :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...