Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Grandma’s Sugared Popcorn

Arriving at my paternal grandparents cerca 1900 home was always a treat.  Literally.

Awaiting hungry visiting tummies were plates full of delicious homemade cookies – usually grandma’s brown sugar cookies or everything cookies – and a piping hot bowl of sugared popcorn.
 

Perfectly salty.
Perfectly sweet. 

Perfectly grandma & grandpa. 

Grandma’s Sugared Popcorn – Grandma Loraine

Ingredients

  • 1 T oil (either olive oil or canola oil)
  • 1 T Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn Oil
  • 1/2 C popcorn
  • 1/4 C sugar {not quite full}
  • popcorn salt

Directions

In a stove-top popcorn popper, pour in the 1 T oil and 1 T popcorn oil. 

Add in the 1/2 C popcorn and scant 1/4 C sugar.  Close the lid and begin to stir the popcorn handle to move the popcorn around in the canister.  Continue popping according to the popcorn maker’s directions. 

Pour out the popcorn into a large bowl, and immediately sprinkle generously with popcorn salt. 

Toss to coat well. 

Serve warm.  Please note: This popcorn is especially delicious when made by your grandmother. 

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of sugary popcorn! I'm much more of a sugar girl than a salt girl so this is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this your grandma's name for kettle corn (which I absolutely love) or is it different? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ TheFishie,

    Kettle corn is much sweeter than this recipe, and I believe kettle corn uses brown sugar so it ends up more caramel-tasting than this recipe. I find this one even better than kettle corn (but, I could be biased).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Grandmas! I love my grandma's sugar corn! This brings back such wonderful memories. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has mentioned several times having sugar popcorn as a child. I had never heard of it before. I'm going to have to surprise him and make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. This sounds a whole lot like kettle corn which I could easily eat by the gallon full.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandmas make the best treats! I never heard of sugar corn before but I like the sweet and saltiness of it! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these recipes! Tried the honey butter tonight; can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...