This soup is delightful.
Hearty enough for a meal.
Simple enough for those – what are we having for dinner?! nights.
Now that the weather has turned a bit colder, make up a pot to serve your family something warm!
20-Minute Minestrone – Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
- 1 (280z) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can white beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 C chicken or vegetable broth (low-sodium, ideally)
- 3 C water (or additional broth)
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper, diced
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 C dry whole wheat pasta (penne, rigatoni, shells, etc)
- 3 C fresh spinach
- 1 C diced cooked chicken, optional
In a large stockpot, combine the tomatoes with 1 C vegetable broth/chicken broth, 3 C water, bell pepper and pasta.
Add in 3 tsp. Italian seasoning and 1 tsp. minced garlic.
Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cover, and cook for 10 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Stir occasionally.
Toss in the spinach and beans. Cook for 5 additional minutes, until spinach is wilted and beans are warmed. If adding cooked chicken, add here.
Serve immediately. If desired, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.