Monday, February 18, 2013

Lazy Sunday Casserole

Both sides of my family and my in-laws come from a meat & potatoes background.  Farming community – strong German and Dutch heritage. Thus, meat and potatoes are a staple in the diet of many in my family. 

I’ll let you in on a secret… I am not a meat and potatoes girl.  Now, while I do enjoy a good meat and potatoes meal every once in a blue moon, I would be hard pressed to subsist on a meat and potatoes diet.  {Side note – my MIL makes an amazing roast and her potatoes, simply incredible}

This dish, I’d consider a compromise. 

The base – potatoes.  And, yummy Italian sausage.

But, here’s the best part: there are other vegetables in this dish!  Bell peppers, carrots and onions. 

And, it’s seasoning is incredible. 

Topped off with a hint of balsamic vinegar. 

Super easy to make.  Yummy enough to satisfy non-meat and potato people, and hearty enough to please those who are. 

We’ve made this dish 3 times and have love it every time. 

You will too. 

Lazy Sunday Casserole –  Adapted from Kayotic Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 4 Italian sausages (we’ve used chicken, pork and turkey – all excellent)
  • 4-5 medium potatoes (russet or red recommended)
  • 6 large carrots (baby carrots work too – about 3 C)
  • 2 medium bell peppers (red, orange, yellow – your choice)
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 – 3/4 C chicken broth (divided)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning (we used Mrs. Dash – salt free Italian)
  • 4 T balsamic vinegar
  • salt & pepper, to taste

Directions

Begin by washing, peeling and preparing the potatoes and carrots.  Slice the carrots into quarters, and the potatoes into large 2-3 inch pieces. 

Peel and cut the onion into wedges.  Thinly slice the bell peppers. 

Spray a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil.  Then, place all the veggies in the dish. 

Spray with olive oil, or if you don’t use a Misto for your olive oil spray, drizzle some olive oil over the top (about 1-2 tsp.).  Season with salt and pepper. 

Meanwhile, combine 1/2 C chicken broth with 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning.  Add in the minced garlic.

Pour the chicken broth mixture over the veggies.  Stir to coat, if needed. 

Stir to coat, if needed. 

Cover the tray.  Bake the veggies at 450 for 45 minutes.  After about 20 minutes of baking, check on the veggies.

If they seem dry, add the additional 1/4 C chicken broth.  Then, continue baking. 

While the veggies bake, prepare the sausages.  Place them in a pan and brown them according to package directions. 

Then, slice each into 4 pieces.

When the veggies have baked for 45 minutes, arrange the sausages over the top of the veggies.  Pour over the remaining 1/4 C chicken broth (if you haven’t already used it), and the 4 T balsamic vinegar. 

Return the dish from the oven and continue cooking, this time uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.  Halfway through, remove the dish from the oven and spoon the juices over the veggies. 

Dish is done with the veggies are crisp-tender, and warmed throughout and meat is fully cooked. 

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this recipe!! I usually don't do the balsamic vinegar at the end. S doesn't like vinegar. But this is an easy go to recipe for a nice lazy Saturday or Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Putting this on my dinner menu :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, this recipe looks really tasty. It seems like a great compromise for the meat/potatoes people in the family and the veggie lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how this would turn out if prepared in a slow cooker? Hmmmm, I think an experiment is in order! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had AMAZING flavor! Loved it! I thought my vegetables were a little more cooked than I like, which I suspected would be the case when I read the recipe. Not sure if my oven is hot or what, but I might turn down the heat and/ or shorten the time next time. Definitely a keeper though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this dinner! You could likely shorten the time a bit. I've noticed too that the type of potato and diameter of the carrots can make a big difference in how "done" the veggies are based on the recipe cook time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...