Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie

image_thumb1

If you are just joining us, we are in the middle of Crockpot Chicken Week!  All week long, 5 recipes using leftover crockpot chicken… and all recipes are made in the crockpot.  I had a great question yesterday from a reader about if you can feed 5-6 people on one chicken.  While I haven’t tried it, I would venture yes. 

Here’s how: Use smaller amounts of meat in each dish and load up on the veggies.  For example, in yesterday’s soup – use 3/4 C shredded cooked chicken rather than the 1 to 1 1/2 C suggested.  Add more carrots, celery, barley, rice & lentils.  Think of meat as the side dish, adding flavor to your favorite veggies.      

For today’s recipe, up the veggies; go for 5-6 C!  It’s easy and delicious.  The recipe comes from one of my favorite food bloggers, Megan from What Megan’s Making.  It takes about 4 hours from start to finish if you use frozen veggies.  If you use fresh veggies, plan for 6-8 hours, which will provide enough time for the veggies to cook completely. 

Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie – Adapted from Megan

Ingredients

  • 8 oz mushrooms, fresh or canned
  • 3 T minced onion
  • 4-5 C frozen mixed veggies (peas, corn, green beans, carrots preferred)
  • 1/3 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 – 3/4 C leftover shredded cooked chicken
  • 1/3 C chicken broth
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/3 C milk or cream
  • Pinch of thyme
  • 1 recipe cheesy biscuits

Directions

In a large crockpot (4-6 quart), combine 8 oz mushrooms (we used canned, drained) with 3 T minced onion and 4-5 C mixed frozen veggies. 

Sprinkle the veggie mixture with 1/3 C white whole wheat flour.  All purpose may also be used, but we go for all whole wheat all the time. 

Add 1/2 – 3/4 C shredded cooked chicken, leftover from your whole chicken cooked earlier this week.  Alternatively, if canned chicken is your thing, you could use that here. 

Stir the mixture and season with salt and pepper. 

Pour in 1/3 C leftover chicken broth.  Stir. 

Season with a pinch of thyme.  Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours until warmed through, veggies are hot and the sauce has thickened. 

Thirty-minutes before serving prepare cheesy biscuits.  You can find the directions here.  Additionally, at this point, add 1/3 C milk to the pot pie cooking away in the crockpot.  Turn the heat up to high and cook until the biscuits are done. 

Top each serving with 1-2 biscuits. 

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, SnoWhite! I would like to challenge myself and see if I can get the five meals out of one chicken for our large family. Adding more veggies is always a good idea. I could eat fruit all day long but veggies are harder for me to eat and incorporate into our meals sometimes. This recipe looks so good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog a couple of days ago, and I LOVE it!! I'm getting married Saturday, so I had been on the hunt for healthy, easy recipes for my first foray into meal planning, and I found your blog. Thank you for all of the work you put into it! I can't wait to try these out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this recipe. I've really been working on adding more veggies to our diet so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! Beats CPP with canned cream soups. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! Love the look of this recipe; especially those biscuits! (Nice site redesign too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm I haven't tried chicken pot pie in the crock pot. I linked to this in my December meal plan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...