Thursday, February 6, 2014

Orange Zest Cranberry Muffins

I admit it.  I really do like winter.  I think one of my favorite parts about winter is the fact that it is bright and sunny, so crisp and white. 

And, that it coincides with citrus season.  These orange zest cranberry muffins are my new mid-winter crush.  

That explains why I only have photos of them in the muffin tin. When you make them, you’ll understand why that is too.    

Orange Cranberry – from Mom

Ingredients

  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 C sugar (a little under is a-ok)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 C chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 2/3 C milk
  • 3-4 T melted butter
  • 1 tsp. orange zest (about 1 medium orange)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg

Directions

Mix the 2 C white whole wheat flour with a scant 2/3 C sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Add in the cranberries and stir.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add 2/3 C milk, 3-4 T melted butter (three has worked just fine for us, but depending on the consistency of your flour, you may need to add 1 T milk to account for the liquid difference), 1 egg, 1 tsp. of orange zest and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. 

Mix the batter together; it will be very thick and sticky. 

Using a cookie scoop, scoop roughly 1/6 C of the dough into 12 greased muffin tins. 

Bake at 400 for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. 

Cool in the tin for 1 minute, and then carefully remove the muffins to a cooling rack to cool down. 

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. These look great! I have a bag of cranberries in the freezer that I've been wondering what to do with. I think I've finally decided! I might add the juice from the "zested" orange in, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made these today with my 3.5 year old son. They are delicious! They are "heartier" than your typical muffin, but we're used to that as most of the ones I make for my children are, too. I did include the juice from the orange (I used a blood orange) and decreased the milk a little to compensate for that. Oh and I used almond milk and brown sugar instead of white. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I love it, do you freeze much of your food? Ii love having muffins, so if these freeze well they be on this weekend menu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These will freeze really well! I hope you enjoy them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...