This chili is a breeze to put together, especially with pre-cooked ground turkey. I love this kitchen cheat – browning meat when I buy it and keeping it pre-cooked in the freezer. It makes all the difference in meal prep on a busy morning or night.
In addition to the ease of prep, I love all the veggies in this chili and how the creamy goodness of the sweet potato puree cuts the acidity of the tomatoes. It’s a delightful combination and we really enjoyed it.
Hearty Crockpot Sweet Potato Chili – Adapted from Tator Tots & Jello
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey Italian sausage (we made our own), browned
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 T dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp. dried minced garlic
- 1 can great white northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 C sweet potato puree
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 T chili powder (more or less to taste)
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish
- Dried parsley, shredded for garnish
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
Add the browned ground turkey sausage, diced bell peppers, 2 cans each of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, 1 T minced onion, 1/4 tsp. minced garlic and 1/2 C sweet potato puree to a large (6 qt) crockpot. Stir well.
Add in the white and black beans, along with 1 T chili powder and salt and pepper. Stir well.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, plain Greek yogurt (for sour cream) and dried parsley.