Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vanilla Cranberry Muffins


Over spring break I had the chance to go and visit my grandparents.  My grandmother has recently had some health issues; although she's doing better now, she's been feeling quite exhausted.



I thought it would be a nice treat to bring my grandparents a few foods they could easily stick into their freezer and have a different treat every once and a while.  When Grandma and Grandpa visited last fall, they LOVED the twice baked potatoes we served; so I made up and big batch for them.


The other thing I brought to my grandparents was a batch of muffins.  These made a great breakfast and also a nice afternoon snack, or even a sweet treat as a dessert.


My grandma has since called and asked for both recipes; but beyond that -- she was blessed and touched by our simple gift to them.


I am the blessed one; and I'm thankful that I was able to give the gift of food to them. What are your favorite foods to give?

Vanilla Cranberry Muffins - From Tracey's Culinary Adventures

1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C applesauce
4 T Greek yogurt
2 eggs, room temperature
2 C white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C milk
1 C diced, fresh cranberries
nutmeg, to taste

Combine the vanilla extract and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Using your fingers, or a spoon, work the vanilla extract into the sugar until well combined.


Add in the applesauce and yogurt.  Blend well.



Mix in the eggs.


Combine the flour, baking powder and salt together.  Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk.  Mix until well combined.



Meanwhile, dice up the cranberries.  I used frozen ones, rinsed and sliced in half.


Add the diced cranberries to the muffin batter; fold.


Using a cookie scoop (my new favorite kitchen gadget -- thanks, Rebekah!!) or a tablespoon, spoon the batter into lightly greased muffin cups.  Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg, to taste.



Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.  Makes 12 muffins.


Enjoy!

Linked to: Potluck Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Mouthwatering Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Muffin Monday, Ingredient Spotlight

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful muffins and such a nice treat for your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! These look sooo good. Vanilla is my absolute favorite flavor, and I have some fresh cranberries in the freezer just begging to be used. ;)

    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins look so wholesome and good. I'm sure your grandparents really loved them. My favorite food to give out is usually cookies around the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your grandma continues to feel better and gain strength. I have moved four hours away from my grandparents whom I was always 2miles from, so when I go back to visit I bring many of their favorite dishes so they can freeze them for later when they don't feel good to cook. It is such a simple way to show your love to very special people who really appreciate it. My favorites to bring my grandparents are chicken enchiladas and tater tot casserole and anything else that freezes well. They are all on my food blog if you want the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muffins look wonderful! I love to cook for my Grandmother and take her treats all the time too. She loves it, I love it. It's a win, win =o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love giving cookies. I like to have fun with the presentation too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. These look amazing!! What a great breakfast!! Love the vanilla flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of vanilla cranberry muffins. The look and sound delicious. What an awesome recipe and idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine are in the oven and smelling delicious! I am enjoying using white whole wheat flour and I was excited to see that you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a nice thing to do for your grandparents! these recipes look wonderful.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...