Sunday, March 14, 2010

Barbcue Turkey Meatloaf



My mom made this when I was a little kid and loved it!  I'm not so much a fan of meatloaf, but the veggies and yummy flavors in this one make it a repeat favorite at our place.  




I'm posting two versions of the ingredients for this recipe -- the original, as my mom used to make it, and my "from-scratch" version!  Both are excellent, but the original uses more processed ingredients than we do now.


BBQ Turkey Meatloaf - Mom

2 C Stove Top - chicken flavor (low sodium) stuffing mix
1 C frozen mixed vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, etc.), thawed
1/2 C water
1 T butter, melted (may omit)
1 lb. ground turkey
2 eggs
1/2 C BBQ sauce - we love Famous Dave's BBQ
2 slices American Cheese (KRAFT slices work well)



From Scratch BBQ Turkey Meatloaf - Adapted from Mom


2 C Coarse Italian Herb Bread Crumbs
1 C frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1/2 C water
1 lb. ground turkey
1 T butter, if desired
2 eggs
1/2 C homemade BBQ sauce
4 oz. sliced Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese


*Or, you can use coarse wheat bread crumbs, seasoned with basil, garlic, oregano, onion, and poultry seasoning

Combine 1 C stuffing/crumbs, veggies, water and butter.  Let stand for 5 minutes. 




Combine remaining stuffing, turkey, eggs and 1/4 C BBQ sauce, mix well. 



Spoon 1/3 of turkey mixture into loaf pan.



Cover with half of the cheese.  Spoon veggie mixture in the center.
Cover with remaining cheese.




Pat remaining turkey mixture on the top and shape into a loaf. 




Brush with remaining BBQ sauce. 




Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until internal temperature is done.





Serve with extra BBQ sauce, if desired.


6 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful photo... sounds almost healthy with the turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely mouth watering and one of the best, if not best, turkey meatloaf recipes I have *ever* seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds awesome! Also, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. It made my day b/c I read your blog daily. Your something of a blogging hero to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom just made meatloaf for us today at her place. How funny! This looks delicious!! I'm a fan of anything with the words BBQ in it :) P.S.--do you guys have a Famous Daves?? It's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this looks DELICIOUS!!!! Let me rephrase...

    DEEE

    LISSSSHHHHH

    UUUUUUSSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this tonight. It was easy and delicious. LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...