Saturday, March 13, 2010

Yellow Cake



A few weeks ago, I spied a yummy-looking yellow cake recipe on my friend Rachel's blog...since I love yellow cake, I decided to give it a try!



Yellow Cake - Adapted from Rachel

2 3/4 C flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter, oil, shortening, or lard*
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 C milk

*I used ~1/3 C applesauce and the remaining bit was topped off with olive oil

Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.  In your mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and oil/butter/lard until light and fluffy.

Then, add in the eggs, one at a time, along with the vanilla.  Mix well.

Add the flour mix alternately with the milk beating until you have a smooth batter.

Pour into greased baking pans -- I used 2 9-inch round cake pans.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in the pan for a few minutes, and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Then, frost with dark chocolate decadent frosting....



and, serve to your friend on her birthday!



This post is linked to:

11 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love cake and have been craving it since yesterday! I may have to make this today, maybe half it since it'll only be for Hubby and me. Thanks for posting!
    Your ice cream cake was a hit last week!
    I made simple chocolate-almond ice cream to go with it. It was so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally loving your blog!! I too just fell in love in cooking and I really love all of your recipes. We are going to try the tortilla recipe for dinner. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful ideas. I am at http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/. If you want to pop over sometime. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I will have to try this soon! Trying a Grasshopper Fudge Cake tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did it taste? How was the texture??

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Katherine,

    It was pretty good. The taste was similar to a boxed cake -- but the texture was just a little different (likely because I used applesauce rather than lard). With using the applesauce, the cake tasted best the first day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you use AP flour or white whole wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it with all purpose or with Eagle Mills ultra grain version -- haven't tried it with 100% white whole wheat yet. If you do, I'd decrease the flour a bit as whole wheat flours tend to soak up more moisture.

      Delete
  7. Sounds delicious. If I wanted to make the cake in just one pan, would I just half the ingredients listed? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should work, although I haven't personally tried it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...