Sunday, February 1, 2009

Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham


This is a tried-and-true recipe that I received at my wedding shower from our wonderful neighbors. 



While the final product isn’t the most visually appealing, it’s a great dinner – a family favorite!




Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes & Ham – From the Sackrison Family
Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb. ham, cooked & cubed
  • 6-8 medium potatoes, raw & peeled, if desired
  • 1 C onion, chopped (divided)
  • 6-8oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 C chicken broth
  • 1/2 C milk
  • 2 T cornstarch
  • 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions


Begin by washing, and/or peeling your potatoes.  Then, using a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the potatoes into discs. 



Meanwhile, slice up the mushrooms, and place them in a large skillet.  Saute with 1/2 C diced onion, until much of the liquids evaporate. 

Combine 1 T corn starch with 1/2 C chicken broth and stir until well combined.  Add to the mushrooms and stir constantly as the mixture thickens.  Then, add in the milk and continue stirring.  Remove from the heat and set aside. 



Lightly spray the inside of the crockpot with olive oil.  Then, arrange 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot.
 


Sprinkle 1/3 of the diced ham over the top, along with salt & pepper, as desired. 



Then, sprinkle over 1/6 of each of the cheeses.



Repeat the layers until ingredients run out; reserving the last layers of cheese.



Pour the mushroom soup goodness over the top of the layers in the crockpot. 



Then, sprinkle on the cheese.



Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are tender. 



Serve warm!



Enjoy!




This recipe is shared at Slow Cooking ThursdaySir Ham A LotIngredient Spotlight: Cream Soups, URS

10 comments:

  1. Thanks! I put it on this week's menu plan! :) can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks amazing, I'm saving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! I loved this recipe so much I linked to you and gave credit of course, on my blog! Thanks for sharing awesomeness in a crock pot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lots of leftover ham from my Easter feast. I am going to make this one this week!! Thanks. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed a Crockpot recipe to use up Ham, for baseball game nites. This looks perfect!
    Thanks for sharing at the Sir Ham A Lot Party!
    ~Liz@HoosierHomemade

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great recipe and I've got a ton of cubed ham in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We aren't much on onions or fresh mushrooms ... think those can just be omitted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Michelle

    You can omit the onions; we often do -- or we use onion flakes instead. The mushrooms can be omitted. I'd make a plain cream of chicken base instead! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I think I'm missing a few things here. In the ingredients list it says 2T Cornstarch and 1 C onions divided but when I look through the instructions I only see 1T cornstarch and 1/2 C onions... Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The extra 1 T cornstarch might be needed to make your cream soup thicker; otherwise, it can be omitted. Likewise with the onion. If you like a lot, use the full cup rather than 1/2 C. Hope that helps, and sorry for any confusion.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...