Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dried Fruit

I've been wanting to make dried fruit, but without a dehydrator, I've been hesitant to do so. But, on Friday over at Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap Gayle posted how she makes dried fruit with her oven!


It's so easy. And, a delicious way to have fruit, especially for me with raw fruits being allergy-agents for me. Today, I tried pineapple, and it tasted delicious -- like fruit... not like sugar coated fruit I remember dried pineapple tasting like.

Dried Fruit - From Gayle
Fruit - fresh or canned*
Parchment paper
Oven set to 200
and, some time :)

*Gayle recommends: peaches, pears, apples, bananas, pineapple... I wonder how oranges, or kiwi, or strawberries might taste???!

If using fresh fruit, wash and slice (peeling if desired) into pieces.
If using canned fruit, drain and rinse fruit.



Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread fruit on the paper, making sure that there are no overlapping pieces.

Place the cookie sheet in an oven set at 200. Allow fruit to dehydrate for several hours. My tray of pineapple took 2-3 hours.  Apples tend to take a bit longer - 4-5 hours, depending on the thickness of apple slices.  Remove fruit when fruit is "chewy, not crunchy or squishy" (according to Gayle).


Store in an airtight container. Gayle says it will keep for several weeks... I don't think it will be around long enough for us to find out how long it keeps :)

3 comments:

  1. My experience has been that the more fiber-fruits work better dried. Eg, apples and pears. I'm not sure kiwis or strawberries would hold up, but it's always worth a try. Let me know how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know! I made apples last night... maybe the strawberry-kiwi mix would be better in fruit leathers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom used to make these all the time! (I made fruit leather in the oven once- it was hard to keep the right temp- but that is probably just our oven!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...