Saturday, March 14, 2009

Homemade Tortillas


I'm sure it never happens to you... but sometimes, you just aren't in the mood for what's on your menu. Or, maybe that's just me. Tonight was one of those nights. The sun was out, the robins are back and spring was in the air. Somehow, soup just didn't seem to fit our bill. So, in a pinch, we needed something for dinner.


Our go-to quick meal, when we're not up for something big is often quesadillas or pizza rolls, but tonight we were out of tortillas! Then, I recalled a recipe I found from Sarah's blog, for homemade tortillas that were ready in 30 minutes... and dinner was salvaged. Thanks, Sarah.

Homemade Tortillas - Modified from Sarah at Beautiful 2 God

2 1/2 C white wheat flour
1/2 C wheat flour
1 C warm water
1/4 C oil (I used just under 1/4 C)
1 tsp. salt (slightly less)
1/4 tsp. baking powder

In a bowl, mix together water, oil, salt and baking powder and stir to combine. Slowly stir in the 3 C of flour, stirring to mix the dough.


When flour is mixed in, knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. For me, this was about 5 minutes of kneading. Then, form dough into a ball and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.


Cut dough in half, and then slice each half into 5 rolls. Form balls out of each slice, cover and set aside for 10 minutes.


Using a rolling pin, roll out each tortilla into an 8-10 inch circle. Roll dough quite thin. If you have trouble getting it to stretch, pick up the dough and "toss" like you would with pizza. I'm not that skilled at it...but it was fun.


Preheat griddle to 350 and place dough circles on the griddle. The original recipe said to lightly grease the griddle... I did not and had no problems.


Allow the tortillas to cook on the griddle for 5 minutes/side (or so), watching carefully to make sure they do not get too browned. Ours were lightly browned when I removed them from the griddle.


We then made our tortillas into quesadillas and mini-pizzas. They were delicious.


This recipe is linked to:

13 comments:

  1. I've been making my own tortillas too. I was so surprised at how easy and quick it was to make them. And they taste so much better. My recipe calls for all whole wheat flour and shortening instead of oil. I think next time I will try with oil instead of shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I wonder if you could substitute self-rising flour for the all-purpose flour and leave out the baking powder and salt?? I'd love to have your opinion. I eat a "wrap" of some kind or other almost everyday so I would love to be able to make my own tortillas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these last night- and I must say- yours are so round! How did you do it?! I will post about mine later - you will see they look like stars and everything but circles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been fiddling with tortilla recipes this winter, and I finally have an excellent method; 100% whole wheat and no trans fats (shortening has nasty fats)! Click the recipes tab at my site (www.kitchenstewardship.com) if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this link with me! I'm so excited that it even has whole wheat in it. I'll be trying this recipe this week!! (as I am once again without tortillas... and 5 whole days from shopping day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade tortillas! I will be making these sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been making a flour tortillas too, by recipe calls for butter instead of oil though.

    Maybe I can try oil instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this recipe! I haven't had tortillas in a long time b/c most store-bought are full of hydrogenated oils and I can't afford the "natural" ones. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I got ambitious tonight and made these. I was amazed at how easy it was to make - especially since I used my mixer. They were much stiffer than I had hoped - I wanted to use them for wraps. But I put them in a ziplock while warm, and they steamed themselves into being flexible enough to wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tip about using the bag to steam the tortillas to use them in wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I'm in the market for a new tortilla recipe - I'm not liking the one I have. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have wanted to try making these. Thanks for the photo tutorial. It doesn't look as scary as I thought it would. I bet they taste so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...