Friday, March 20, 2009

Grilled Hash Browned Potatoes


We have a George Forman, and with it came a great little recipe book. One recipe we've enjoyed is homemade hash browns that are crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside.

Crispy Grilled Hash Browned Potatoes - Modified from George Forman

2 large potatoes, shredded/grated
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper (to taste)
1-2 tsp. olive oil

Wash potatoes and then shred or grate the potatoes, leaving the skin on!

Place the grated potatoes in a wire strainer, or between two paper towels, and press to remove excess water from the potatoes. Dry the potatoes and toss with salt.


Preheat your George Forman, and when ready, drizzle 1/2 tsp. of olive oil on the bottom grill plate. Place potatoes on the grill and drizzle remaining oil over the top.

You may choose to add a bit more salt to the potatoes as well. Close the lid and allow the potatoes to bake. For us, we've found that after about 10 minutes you can flip the hash browns. Then, continue cooking for 10 more minutes on the other side. Serve warm.


What I love about this recipe is you can start it and basically forget it. There's no, "oh no! I forgot to stir the potatoes!" only to find they've stuck to the bottom on the pan. I also use a LOT less oil when I make our hash browns this way. Alternatively, you can also use store-bought hash browns and make them in this fashion.

6 comments:

  1. Do you think this would work with Sweet Potatoes? I love sweet potato fries, was just wondering if it would work for hashbrowns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Marjo -- I bet it would! I was just thinking the same thing when we ate them yesterday. Trying it with sweet potatoes is next on my list :) Let me know if you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this recipe bookmarked for awhile and I just made it today. The hashbrowns were delicious! I loved that they got nice and crispy with MUCH less oil than I would've used on the stove. We both gave this recipe an A+!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to mention to rinse the shredded potatoes in cold water before cooking. this avoids the tendency for the potatoes to get gummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...