Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lucy's AMAZING Chili

A new bloggy friend I've found was willing to share her chili recipe with me! Not only am I glad to have met Lucy, but I'm thrilled she shared her chili recipe with me. It's delicious. Thus, I have to share it with all of you. I love that it's chocked full of veggies (and beans!) :)


We made it on the stove, and then transferred it to the crockpot to simmer... plus, we had to leave for our small group so it worked out great. The chili was perfect when we returned.

Lucy's Chili -Modified only slightly from Lucy

  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 T minced onion (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
  • 1 8 oz package mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 each red and green pepper, chopped (we used a mix of orange, yellow and green peppers)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 large carrots, thinly chopped
  • 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
  • 1 medium zuccihini, peel and chopped
  • 1-2 cans diced tomatoes (with juices), we used 1 petite diced
  • 1 can white beans, drained (Lucy recommends kidney, we used white as Frog Prince doesn't like red beans...)
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1/8 C ketchup
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
  • 1-4 tsp. chilli powder (Lucy recommends 2 T... we like our chili less spicy)
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Gather veggies and chop according to recipe (I chopped mine the day before to making putting the chili together really easy).



In a pan, brown meat with onion and garlic. Drain fat. (I used pre-browned from the freezer!)

Meanwhile, place mushrooms into a large stock pot, and saute. Add peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and carrots.

Look at all those colorful veggies! At this point, I already knew I was going to love it.


Allow veggies to start getting tender. Then add tomatoes and meat to the mix and heat through. Add meat and stir to combine.

At this point, I transferred the chili to the crock pot, and added the beans.

Then, I mixed in the ketchup, brown sugar and spices.

I closed the lid, and set the crockpot to low for 4-6 hours. It smelled delicious while cooking :)

And, it tasted delicious too :-)

If you don't want to make it in the crockpot, Lucy suggests first browning the meat with the onion and then adding transferring it to a big stockpot and adding all the other ingredients. The original recipe says to simmer for 15 minutes and then serve, but I agree with Lucy... let it simmer to allow the flavors to blend.

Look for more recipes at Slow Cooking Thursday and the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the chili. Now that I've seen the pictures of you making it, I do believe it's going on my menu next week. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use turkey meat as often as possible too. I'll pretty much use in everything except burgers. I still like beef burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I going to try this without mushrooms no one in my family like them. It looks very good TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I have this on the stove right now for dinner, simmering slowly. I just had to sample some and it is AWESOME. I left out the eggplant & mushrooms b/c of our family's preferences. I used 3 peppers (red, orange, & green) & 2 cans petite diced tomatoes. I will totally enjoy this at dinnertime!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...