We made it on the stove, and then transferred it to the crockpot to simmer... plus, we had to leave for our small group so it worked out great. The chili was perfect when we returned.
Lucy's Chili -Modified only slightly from Lucy
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 T minced onion (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
- 1 8 oz package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 each red and green pepper, chopped (we used a mix of orange, yellow and green peppers)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, thinly chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium zuccihini, peel and chopped
- 1-2 cans diced tomatoes (with juices), we used 1 petite diced
- 1 can white beans, drained (Lucy recommends kidney, we used white as Frog Prince doesn't like red beans...)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/8 C ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1-4 tsp. chilli powder (Lucy recommends 2 T... we like our chili less spicy)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Gather veggies and chop according to recipe (I chopped mine the day before to making putting the chili together really easy).
In a pan, brown meat with onion and garlic. Drain fat. (I used pre-browned from the freezer!)
Meanwhile, place mushrooms into a large stock pot, and saute. Add peppers, zucchini, eggplant, and carrots.
Allow veggies to start getting tender. Then add tomatoes and meat to the mix and heat through. Add meat and stir to combine.
At this point, I transferred the chili to the crock pot, and added the beans.
Then, I mixed in the ketchup, brown sugar and spices.
I closed the lid, and set the crockpot to low for 4-6 hours. It smelled delicious while cooking :)
And, it tasted delicious too :-)
If you don't want to make it in the crockpot, Lucy suggests first browning the meat with the onion and then adding transferring it to a big stockpot and adding all the other ingredients. The original recipe says to simmer for 15 minutes and then serve, but I agree with Lucy... let it simmer to allow the flavors to blend.
Look for more recipes at Slow Cooking Thursday and the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap!