Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mushroom and Mozzarella Pasta


We love pasta... and mushrooms, and spinach and cheese, so this dish had our names written all over it. Of course, Snow White and Frog Prince modified it to our tastes and our recipe is below.

Mushroom and Mozzarella Pasta - Modified from Cooking for My Family

1 (8oz) package of whole wheat pasta (we used penne)
2 T butter
1/4 C flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. basil
2 C milk
1 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 pkg. frozen spinach, cooked (we used Green Giant frozen, no sauce)
1/4 C low-sodium soy sauce (a little less)

Boil pasta according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.

Saute mushrooms in a non-stick pot, cooking for about 5 minutes. Then set aside.


Melt butter and mix in garlic and basil. Stir to combine.

In a small bowl, combine flour and milk and whisk until blended. Add milk mixture to butter and slowly increase heat, stirring until mixture is thickened.




Once thickened, remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 C of freshly grated mozzarella cheese and allow the heat from the cream sauce to melt the cheese.


In the 9x13 pan, stir together the mushrooms, pasta, and spinach.


Drizzle soy sauce over the pasta.


Pour cream sauce over the pasta


Stir to combine


Sprinkle with remaining cheese


Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.


Enjoy the rich, creamy dinner :)


7 comments:

  1. This looks yummy-licious!! What sides do you recommend?

    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this dish is quite rich... I recommend a nice light salad, or some french bread with it. the dish itself has a bunch of veggies in it, so I don't feel too bad just having this as a meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, what a great alternative to traditional pasta bakes. and good recipe to get antioxidant rich mushrooms and spinach introduced to kids in a pasta/cheese friendly way. great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...I guess I shouldn't read your blog when I am hungry!!!! YUMMY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Ths looks so great! I love findng new recipes. I'm putting it on the menu for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this yesterday for my bf and my dad - they loved it=))
    So tasty! thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made this on Sunday! It was so yummy! My husband was very impressed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...