Saturday, April 4, 2009

Soft Bread Sticks

A few weeks ago I found a recipe for soft bread sticks through the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap. We gave it a try tonight, making a few changes. I did like that it was ready to eat in roughly 20 minutes (from start to finish)!

However, I must have gotten too much milk in my recipe because they were quite gooey when I put them in the pan. None-the-less, they baked up nicely and had great flavor. We'll try them again, hopefully they'll be less sticky to work with.

Soft Bread Sticks - Modified from Jill

1 C flour (white)
1/4 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 - 2/3 C milk (as needed)
1-3 T butter, as desired


Heat oven to 450. Melt butter in a 9x13 pan in the warming oven.


Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Measure milk in a measuring cup, and slowly pour in a bit and stir to combine.

Make sure to add only milk a little bit at a time so the dough does not become too moist. I'm sure I added too much... so add slowly and keep dough a bit dry (you'll want the dough dry enough to roll out!).

See... mine is way too moist. I added extra flour to help... but it was still really moist.

Roll out dough (or in my case, pat out dough with lots of flour) to a rectangle that's 1/2 inch thick.

Then, slice the dough into breadsticks. (about 12 breadsticks -- I cut mine in half again)

Pop the breadsticks into the melted butter and flip to coat (okay, mine were so flimsy that I couldn't actually flip... so I cooked them for about 10 minutes and then flipped them over in the butter).

Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes, or until breadsticks are lightly browned.

Mine didn't look very pretty, but they sure tasted great!


They would likely be really good with some herbs mixed into the dough, or some garlic salt sprinkled on the top!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...