Monday, August 31, 2009

Honey Oat Bread



My dear friend Lucy has so many wonderful recipes on her site: Lucy's Kitchen. One I've been wanting to try for a while has been her honey oat bread recipe. I shouldn't have waited this long -- this bread is delicious. And, we really enjoyed it in Berry Baked French Toast, and as grilled cheese sandwich bread. Yum.

Honey Oat Bread - Modified from Lucy

1 1/4 C + 3 T warm water
3 T honey
3 C whole wheat flour
1 C oats (quick/old fahsioned)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 T dry milk
2 T oil/butter
2 1/4 tsp. yeast


Add all ingredients into bread pan in the order listed. Select dough cycle. When dough is complete, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gently knead for about one minute. Shape and place in greased bread pan. Cover and let rise for 30-45 minutes or until bread is just barely cresting the top of the pan (mine struggled to rise here... I set it near the warm oven hoping it would speed up the rise - nope.)

Bake at 350-375 (get to know your oven) for 30-40 minutes. Cover with foil if it begins to brown too much.

While my loaf looks nothing like Lucy's pretty loaf, it was sure tasty.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely loaf of bread. Are you working with a bread machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of your recipe better than mine. I made this one when I first started on the bread making adventure and I wasn't brave enough to do much experimenting. I like the reduced amount of honey and salt. I'm going to try your way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My loaves always look like that too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...