Monday, August 31, 2009

Zucchini Pasta Sauce



My dear friend from college, Bird, sent me a recipe just because she was thinking about me :) I love getting recipes from friends -- it's almost better than chocolate ;-)

This recipe is from a Mennonite cookbook called "More with Less". Perfect. This cookbook presents recipes from scratch and from your home garden, and features recipes using less/no red meat! Sounds perfect for me. This recipe is quite tasty and filling. Yummy.

Zucchini Pasta Sauce - Modified from Bird (via More with Less Cookbook)

1 T oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced (about 6 C)
3 C fresh tomatoes, diced (or 1-2 cans)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. oregano
8 oz mushrooms, sliced (optional)

Heat oil over medium heat, and saute the onions in the oil until translucent. Add in zucchini, tomatoes, spices and mushrooms (if desired).





Simmer covered for 15 minutes. Then, uncover and simmer for 10 additional more minutes.





Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to directions. Serve topped with Zucchini sauce and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.



We added in leftover turkey meatballs -- yummy!





Thanks, Bird!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really great. I've been working on one as well. Your photos are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are making me drool with all that fresh goodness in one place! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...