Monday, September 21, 2009

Cheddar Chicken & Potatoes

Looking at farmers market potatoes and peppers, I wanted a dish that used them both. This skillet was super tasty and a unique dish for dinner. It reminded me of a skillet breakfast, but uses chicken rather than eggs.


Cheddar Chicken and Potatoes - Adapted from Kraft Foods

4 slices bacon
4 chicken breasts (or 6-8 chicken tenders)
2 C diced potatoes
2 C diced bell peppers (green, red)
1/2 medium onion, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
4 oz. extra sharp cheddar (or Colby Jack) cheese, shredded

Cook bacon in the skillet over medium heat until bacon is crunchy.


Remove bacon from skillet and place on a paper towel to de-grease. Then, remove almost all of the grease from the pan (less about 1 tsp.).


Chop and prepare the potatoes, onion and peppers.


Saute the peppers, potatoes and onions in the 1 tsp. bacon grease for about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.


Remove veggies from skillet and set aside.


If the skillet still contains grease, then just add the chicken. If not, add a few dribbles of bacon grease to aid in cooking the chicken.


Cook chicken over medium heat until juices run clear.


When chicken is cooked, return potatoes to the pan, and continue cooking potatoes/onions/peppers until crisp/tender. Then, crumple cooked bacon and add to the skillet. Stir to combine.


Sprinkle with cheese, and cover until cheese is melted.


Remove from heat and serve warm.



This post is linked to In-Season Swap: Potatoes, Ingredient Spotlight, URS

12 comments:

  1. I made something similar last night, only without the cheddar cheese. I'll post it on my blog on Tuesday! Hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that looks good! I also love how easy it is to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something my family would enjoy, will have to try soon, thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 your blog!
    I found it during BooMama's Diptacular (I think). I book marked it but then kind of forgot about it. :\
    But I spent some time this evening browsing around and I can't wait to try some of your recipes!
    My MIL makes something similar to today's recipe and I was already planning on trying it this week. She bakes hers, uses ham and also adds carrots. It looks good with chicken though. SO many possibilities. I'll have to play around with it and make it my own!

    I'll have to tell you about my 'frog prince' story sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the perfect dinner for a weeknight meal! Cheddar cheese and bacon are things you just can't go wrong with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This looks delicious. I think if I try this I'll probably dice the chicken first...but mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great, and I love that it has all those yummy breakfast flavors without the egg (my son has an egg allergy). You have so many good looking recipes on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhhh my, I may as well just plan on making everything you make...this looks dandy, might add it this week to my plan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally going to cheat with this & probably use the bag of o'brien frozen potatoes I found in my freezer instead of going through all the hard work (ha!) of chopping vegetables :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had this for supper tonight - it is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a yummy recipe! My famous woul love this for supper! I need to look back through your archives! I hope you'll come and share a recipe today :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...