Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chocolate Cake

Typically, when given a choice, I'll always choose vanilla over chocolate.   Ice cream, cake, warm beverage (yes, I prefer vanilla milk to hot chocolate... you should try it... mmmmm), you name it, vanilla has my name written all over it. 

But.... there is one chocolate cake that I actually like... and you can find the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa box!



Yep.  They make a good cake.

Hershey's Chocolate Cake - Adapted from Hershey's

1 1/4 C sugar
1 3/4 C flour
3/4 C cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark is amazing)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 C milk
1/4 C oil (or melted butter)
1/4 C applesauce
1 C boiling water

Combine together the dry ingredients.  Mix well.



Then, add the egg, milk, oil/applesauce and vanilla.  Mix with a mixer for about 2 minutes.  This mix will be really thick at this point.





Boil some water and carefully pour into the batter.  Now, the batter becomes very thin!  That's okay.  I think this is what makes it so good :)





Pour batter into greased cake pans and bake at 350 for ~30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Cool for 10 minutes, and then remove them from the pans.



Frost, if desired, with Hershey's amazing chocolate frosting :) 

12 comments:

  1. I am totally a vanilla person as well, but almost everyone I know is a chocaholic. Which means i need to have some go-to chocolate recipes! Thanks for this, it definitely looks like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! I'm a die-hard chocolate lover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cake too, but I'm really bad. I fill and frost it with whipped cream. It's the best darn thing. I don't make it often because I eat too much of it. It's funny how good some of the old recipes really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not too much a fan of chocolate ice cream of cake either- but I do love a good piece of chocolate or chocolate chip anything. = ) But Chris loves chocolate - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used this recipe this week to make cupcakes for my daughter's 1st birthday and it was fantastic! Even my vanilla-husband liked it! Thanks :) (It made 24 cupcakes and I baked them for about 18 minutes.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think I could use all whole wheat flour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Katherine,

    Yes.

    I have successfully made this recipe using all 100% white whole wheat flour. I haven't tried it with red wheat flour, but I would think it would work, especially if you make it with applesauce in place of the oil (for extra moisture).

    Let me know if you try it!

    Best,
    SnoWhite

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay so I just found this recipe for your ice cream cake http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/ice-cream-cake.html

    This chocolate cake seems similar to this one, so my question is...which one do you like best? Which one has the better texture?

    Your input is greatly appreciated, thanks :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Katherine - Great question!

    This chocolate cake recipe is my favorite. The only time I've used the other chocolate cake recipe has been in the ice cream cake, so I can't vouch for it outside of that recipe.

    I love this chocolate cake recipe -- when I make it with applesauce (and wheat flour), it's really moist and more dense. When I make it with more oil and less applesauce it's light and fluffy!

    Hope you give one of them a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phenomenal cake! So light and airy. I think that water really does make for a great cake. Thanks. I topped it with German chocolate cake frosting and it was a huge hit. Thanks for the tried and true recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you use 1/2 a cup of oil if you don't have applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that you could, but I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch 100% for it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...