Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spinach & Black Bean Lasagna



I love black beans.

Hubster does not.

I try, really I do, to get him to eat black beans.

It usually doesn't work.

Except when he ate my black bean brownies... only because I didn't tell him what was in them until after he ate them.

I'm cruel like that.

Normally I don't torture him by making him eat black beans. I respect his taste-bud issues, and move on. (read: when he's out of town, I eat the foods he doesn't like).

So with his work trip to St. Louis this past week, I enjoyed a yummy new recipe: Spinach and Black Bean Lasagna. Frog Prince was jealous he missed it.

(exhibit A - gmail chat before dinner)

Frog Prince: I'm going out for dinner in a few minutes, just wanted to say hi.

SnoWhite: Have fun. Too bad it's not my cooking. You're missing out on some black bean lasagna tonight.

Frog Prince: I'm so sad. :(

SnoWhite: Haha. You should be. It's going to be tasty.

Frog Prince: I'm going to have a steak.

SnoWhite: Have a nice time. Love you.

Frog Prince: Love you too.



And, look what he missed. I can guarantee his $33 steak didn't taste this good... and I made mine for pennies a serving.

Spinach and Black Bean Lasagna - Adapted from the Homemaking Housewife

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 (15oz) container, ricotta cheese
1 (10oz) package, frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 tsp. salt
~2 C Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
2 (16oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
~13oz spaghetti sauce
9 lasagna noodles (uncooked), whole wheat if possible



Lightly grease a 9x13 glass baking dish (I halved the recipe, and used a 9x9).

Meanwhile, using a potato masher, lightly mash the black beans.



Add to the mashed beans the spaghetti sauce. Stir well.



Then, in a medium bowl, mix the egg, ricotta cheese, spinach, salt and 1/4 C shredded cheese. Stir well.





Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture on the bottom of the baking dish.



Cover with noodles and 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture.



Add another layer of noodles, followed by the bean mixture.



Add ricotta and repeat, ending with bean mixture topped with cheese.



Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes. Then, remove the covering and bake an additional 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and browned.



Serve warm.



You can freeze the leftovers, or enjoy them for lunch for the next few days.

One trick I've discovered to make lasagna healthier... use less cheese, but save the cheese for the top. You really don't need cheese between the layers -- the filling is filling enough. Save the cheese for the top, and let it get browned and bubbly... that way you get the cheese flavor you love with much less cheese than you normally would use (this recipe originally called for 4 C of cheese!).

Aren't you sad you missed this, Frog Prince?

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Monday and Tasty Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. What a clever way to use black beans. Your recipe is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds very good. I'll be saving this receipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this. I usually make spinach lasagna just with extra cheese, but for some reason this looks simpler. Plus we (both) love black beans! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe--you're hilarious! Black beans are my favorite too, but I'd never thought about using them in a lasagna before. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was jsut looking at your menu and this recipe jumped out at me. The ingredients are things we always have on hand. Have a great week in the kitchen and out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have come over to eat that with you. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two are so darn cute! You're like my husband and I...except Joe loves black beans. But when I mentioned black bean soup his nose kind of turned up on one side.

    Your lasagna looks incredible...I never think of things like that. Thanks for linking to Slightly Indulgent Mondays!
    Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOOOOVE THIS RECIPE I BOILED NOODLES FIRST AND BAKED UNCOVERED FOR 25 MINS IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so good! I usually make 2 pans of lasagna (we have 8 kids) one with spinach and one with chopped broccoli. I tried a little of both, the broccoli was so good with this too. For those who don't like spinach but do love black beans give that a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Beth, how much you enjoyed this one. I love the broccoli idea too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...