Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chicken Brown Rice Bake


When Amy first posted this recipe, I knew I had to try it. Then, she let me know that her hubby told her he could eat it every night. I understand why. Wow. This dish is wonderful.


Since I'm a big fan of one-dish dinners, I added broccoli to this bake; that way I didn't have to make it on the side. It was fantastic.


Chicken, Mushroom and Brown Rice Bake - Adapted from Amy @ Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

3 1/3 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C brown rice
1 T butter
12 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced thick
1 medium onion
2 large leeks (I omitted)
1 bag frozen broccoli, chopped (~12 oz)
2 C shredded chicken/turkey
2 T corn starch
1 C cream, divided
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated

Using a rice maker, the stove top, or Amy's oven method, cook your brown rice in 2 1/3 C chicken stock.

Meanwhile, cut the onion/leek (Amy has directions about how to cut the leeks).

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the onion/leek and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Then, add in the mushrooms.


Saute until the mushrooms have evaporated much of their liquid. Then, add in the broccoli.


Stir in the chicken stock and the shredded chicken/turkey. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.


In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and add 1 T of cream and mix well until cornstarch is dissolved and the mixture is thick.


Add remaining cream to the chicken mixture, and cook -- stirring once you add the cream.


Then add in the cornstarch mixture and stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove the mix from the heat.


When the rice is done, pour it into a 9x13 glass baking dish (or, if you used Amy's method -- remove the rice from the oven and leave in the glass dish).


Spoon the chicken mixture over the top.


Cover again - tightly. I used a cookie sheet to cover the dish ... works just like tinfoil!


Bake in the oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes until all the liquid is gone, and the dish is bubbly.

Remove the cover, add the Parmesan cheese, and return the dish to the oven to melt and, if desired, slightly brown the cheese.



Enjoy warm for dinner, or reheat the leftovers later. Amy also said you can freeze this dish nicely. Yeah!



7 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm....this looks yummy. I think we'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds delicious. I'll bet it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recently and it was SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD! Thank you for the recipe! I could eat the leftovers for days and be a happy woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - this looks amazing! I am going to put this on the "to make" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long does it take to reheat and what temp if you freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thaw it completely before baking, then I follow the same baking instructions for the original recipe. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...